Server configuration..

Discussion in 'Java' started by Andrew Thompson, Jan 18, 2004.

  1. Ugggh! This is doing my head in!

    I am currently working on three sites
    and want to have separate directories
    on my local machine with separate
    URL's for each.. like..

    http://localhost:8080/ -> D://2sites/PhySci/
    http://le:8080/ -> D://2Sites/LensEscapes/
    http://11c:8080/ -> D://2Sites/1point1c/

    I _still_ cannot figure how to set up my
    server.xml to achieve that. It is here..
    http://www.physci.org/test/serv/server.xml

    I have read every thread that mentioned
    server configuration, but could never seem
    to make the advice work for my situation.
    [ I always get '404' ]

    Can anybody see what I am doing wrong?

    [ The 'cream on the cake' would be to have
    them all use the same WEB-INF directory,
    but that is a minor point.. ]

    --
    Andrew Thompson

    Andrew Thompson, Jan 18, 2004

  2. Andrew Thompson

    Oscar Kind Guest

    Andrew Thompson <> wrote:
    > I am currently working on three sites
    > and want to have separate directories
    > on my local machine with separate
    > URL's for each.. like..
    >
    > http://localhost:8080/ -> D://2sites/PhySci/
    > http://le:8080/ -> D://2Sites/LensEscapes/
    > http://11c:8080/ -> D://2Sites/1point1c/

    Have you read how to define virtual hosts?
    Just create several Host tags in the Engige tag within the Service tag
    within the Server tag.

    [...]
    > I have read every thread that mentioned
    > server configuration, but could never seem
    > to make the advice work for my situation.

    Try the manual before the newsgroups. I find it often helps.

    [...]
    > [ The 'cream on the cake' would be to have
    > them all use the same WEB-INF directory,
    > but that is a minor point.. ]

    AFAIK, his is not possible. Remember you're deploying several sites
    (each with their own applications, even if they happen to be the same).

    Oscar

    --
    No trees were harmed in creating this message.
    However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

    Oscar Kind, Jan 18, 2004

  3. "Oscar Kind" <> wrote in message
    | Andrew Thompson <> wrote:
    | > I am currently working on three sites
    | > and want to have separate directories
    | > on my local machine with separate
    | > URL's for each.. like..
    | Have you read how to define virtual hosts?
    | Just create several Host tags in the Engige tag within the
    Service tag
    | within the Server tag.

    I currently have three Host tags defined within
    within the Engine tag. As mentioned in the
    ..xml file I linked to..
    (I mean heck, I dinnae wanna dump 12Kb
    of my server.xml on the members of the group
    that do not have servers or knowledge/interest)

    | [...]
    | > I have read every thread that mentioned
    | > server configuration, but could never seem
    | > to make the advice work for my situation.
    |
    | Try the manual before the newsgroups. I find it often helps.

    I did, it didn't on this occasion (probably due to
    lack of understanding on my part).

    | > [ The 'cream on the cake' would be to have
    | > them all use the same WEB-INF directory,
    | > but that is a minor point.. ]
    |
    | AFAIK, his is not possible. Remember you're deploying several
    sites
    | (each with their own applications, even if they happen to be
    the same).

    Fair enough.

    --
    Andrew Thompson

    Andrew Thompson, Jan 18, 2004
  4. "Andrew Thompson" <> wrote in message
    | I am currently working on three sites
    | and want to have separate directories
    | on my local machine with separate
    | URL's for each.. like..
    |
    | http://localhost:8080/ -> D://2sites/PhySci/
    | http://le:8080/ -> D://2Sites/LensEscapes/
    | http://11c:8080/ -> D://2Sites/1point1c/
    |
    | I _still_ cannot figure how to set up my
    | server.xml to achieve that. It is here..
    | http://www.physci.org/test/serv/server.xml
    |
    | I have read every thread that mentioned
    | server configuration, but could never seem
    | to make the advice work for my situation.
    | [ I always get '404' ]

    ...err. well actually that's a
    "Cannot find server or DNS Error" error

    Andrew Thompson, Jan 18, 2004
  5. Andrew Thompson

    Sudsy Guest

    Andrew Thompson wrote:
    > | I have read every thread that mentioned
    > | server configuration, but could never seem
    > | to make the advice work for my situation.
    > | [ I always get '404' ]
    >
    > ..err. well actually that's a
    > "Cannot find server or DNS Error" error
    >
    > | Can anybody see what I am doing wrong?

    Well that's different! Do you have entries for those hostnames
    in your hosts file? Don't know where it's kept on your machine
    but it's in C:\Windows on Win98.

    Sudsy, Jan 18, 2004
  6. "Oscar Kind" <>

    ...ahem.

    ** I apologise Oscar. **

    If I had not formulated a dumb question (wrong information)
    If I had read the manual _carefully_ &
    If I had not become immersed in my irritation at you
    suggesting I _should_ read the manual....

    I might have wasted less of your (and my) time.

    Thank you for your time, attention and response. :)

    --
    Andrew Thompson

    Andrew Thompson, Jan 18, 2004
  7. "Sudsy" <> wrote in message
    | ...Do you have entries for those hostnames
    | in your hosts file? Don't know where it's kept on your machine
    | but it's in C:\Windows on Win98.

    It's in the C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\
    directory on XP. And thanks, yes, all sorted and
    ready to proceed. :)

    --
    Andrew Thompson

    Andrew Thompson, Jan 18, 2004
  8. Andrew Thompson

    Sudsy Guest

    Andrew Thompson wrote:
    > It's in the C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\
    > directory on XP. And thanks, yes, all sorted and
    > ready to proceed. :)

    Okay, so I know this is basic, but have you tried to ping 11c in
    a command window?

    Sudsy, Jan 18, 2004
  9. Andrew Thompson

    ak Guest

    > I am currently working on three sites
    > and want to have separate directories
    > on my local machine with separate
    > URL's for each.. like..
    >
    > http://localhost:8080/ -> D://2sites/PhySci/
    > http://le:8080/ -> D://2Sites/LensEscapes/
    > http://11c:8080/ -> D://2Sites/1point1c/

    hosts:
    127.0.0.1 multipure phpmyadmin imagero

    httpd.conf:

    <VirtualHost 127.0.0.1>
    ServerAdmin
    DocumentRoot "D:/Programme/Apache Group/Apache2/htdocs/pure"
    ServerName multipure
    </VirtualHost>

    <VirtualHost 127.0.0.1>
    ServerAdmin
    DocumentRoot "D:/Programme/Apache Group/Apache2/htdocs/phpMyAdmin"
    ServerName phpmyadmin
    </VirtualHost>

    <VirtualHost 127.0.0.1>
    ServerAdmin
    DocumentRoot "D:/Programme/Apache Group/Apache2/htdocs/imagero"
    ServerName imagero
    </VirtualHost>

    <VirtualHost 127.0.0.1>
    ServerAdmin
    DocumentRoot "D:/Programme/Apache Group/Apache2/htdocs"
    ServerName localhost
    </VirtualHost>

    about server.xml I know not much...

    ____________

    http://reader.imagero.com the best java image reader.

    ak, Jan 18, 2004
  10. "Sudsy" <> wrote in message
    | Andrew Thompson wrote:
    | > It's in the C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\
    | > directory on XP. And thanks, yes, all sorted and
    | > ready to proceed. :)
    |
    | Okay, so I know this is basic, but have you tried to ping 11c
    in
    | a command window?

    No. I tried bringing it up in a browser and it
    succeeded.

    After your post I tried pinging 11c ..specifically

    > ping 11c

    Request timed out. (x 4)

    So then I tried
    > ping localhost

    same..

    I apparently do not even understand how
    to 'ping' (that reminds me of a bizarre
    Monty Python sketch but ..I digress)

    So, what's the proper form/way to ping?
    No. Wait. I'll go look it up!

    [ As the milliseconds drift by, Oscar's
    comment seems ever more valid! ]

    Thanks all. If I have further problems
    I will immerse myself in the docs for a
    coupla' days first.. (I promise)

    --
    Andrew Thompson

    Andrew Thompson, Jan 18, 2004
  11. Andrew Thompson

    Oscar Kind Guest

    Andrew Thompson <> wrote:
    > Thank you for your time, attention and response. :)

    You're welcome. :)

    Oscar

    Oscar Kind, Jan 18, 2004