server control infrastructure

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Building Controls' started by mr. dropdown, Jan 20, 2006.

  1. mr. dropdown

    mr. dropdown Guest

    Hi, I have a very important question that I posted here few weeks ago and
    stil there is no answer. I am posting it again, hopefully someone will know
    the answer. Thanks!

    A very useful answer from Mike MacMillan a few days ago helped me create the
    server control I wanted. It is something like:
    <Main:Control>
    <Children>
    <Collection1 value=1></Collection1>
    <Collection1 value=2></Collection1>
    <Collection2 value=3></Collection1>
    <Collection2 value=4></Collection1>
    </Children>
    </Main:Control>

    I'm doing it by using several controlBuilders, one for each HTML tag type.
    The question is - how, in general, the project should look like?
    Currently I'm using several classes each one in it's own cs file, for
    example - the main:control tag has a ControlBuilder which return a Children
    class type which is another cs file called ChildrenClass, and so on - the
    childrenClass has a ControlBuilder which return 2 different class types
    according to the child, and each one has it's one cs file (Collection1Class
    and Collection2Class).

    The problem with this implementation is that when I'm adding the control to
    the asp.net toolbox it also ads each one of the sub-class and not only the
    Main:Control class. Another implementation that I tried was to write all in
    1 BIG cs file which solved the problem of the toolbox but it doesn't make
    sense to put all the code in 1 file.

    Any help/suggestion/link will be helpfull. Thanks!
    mr. dropdown, Jan 20, 2006