Server did not recognize the value of HTTP Header Soapaction

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Services' started by Dino Antonelli, Oct 24, 2004.

  1. Hi,

    I've got the following problem:

    I've written an application that is built as a peer to peer
    application. So, every "instance" deployed talks with another
    "instance" of the same type. In this way every instance is both a web
    service consumer and web service producer and the protocol used is
    SOAP on .NET framework 1.1 (C#).
    The problem is that the web service that exposes that interface to all
    the other instances owns (in the bin folder) also the web reference to
    be a client. This situation produce the error on the subject on the
    moment I start the communication:

    "Server did not recognize the value of HTTP Header Soapaction: ...."

    I've tried to remove the ASP.NET cache on every start but it semms to
    not solve the problem
    Has anybody an idea to solve this kind of problem?

    Thanks in advance
    Dino

    Dino Antonelli, Oct 24, 2004

  2. Dino Antonelli

    Dan Rogers Guest

    Hi Dino,

    I may not fully comprehend all of the variables, but in general, when this
    error is received, it means the web service request code is configured to
    dispatch based on SOAPAction (the default case), and the SOAP Action value
    in the HTTP header field did not match one of the expected Action values
    (which default to the method names unless you override them with
    SoapDocumentMethodAttribute.

    Try looking at the raw request and compare that to what you expect. To do
    this, download George Lindsay's trace web service extension, configure it
    into your services web.config as documented, and then open a browser window
    and access the following URL: http://localhost/myservice/trace.axd

    You'll need to adjust this path, but the important thing is to set
    trace="on" in your web.config, and install the tracing extension by putting
    the DLL alongside of your service DLL and following the directions in the
    download. Then using a client that exhibits this behavior, make a call to
    your service endpoint. Then refresh your browser with the trace. You
    should see a new POST message - and you can drill in on it to see the text
    of the request as received. I suspect you'll find that the call is
    populating the SoapAction field in a way that the service does not expect.

    I hope this helps

    Dan Rogers
    Microsoft Corporation
    >From: (Dino Antonelli)