Server did not recognize the value of HTTP Header Soapaction

Dino Antonelli

Hi,

I've got the following problem:

I've written an application that is built as a peer to peer
application. So, every "instance" deployed talks with another
"instance" of the same type. In this way every instance is both a web
service consumer and web service producer and the protocol used is
SOAP on .NET framework 1.1 (C#).
The problem is that the web service that exposes that interface to all
the other instances owns (in the bin folder) also the web reference to
be a client. This situation produce the error on the subject on the
moment I start the communication:

"Server did not recognize the value of HTTP Header Soapaction: ...."

I've tried to remove the ASP.NET cache on every start but it semms to
not solve the problem
Has anybody an idea to solve this kind of problem?

Thanks in advance
Dino

Dan Rogers

Hi Dino,

I may not fully comprehend all of the variables, but in general, when this
error is received, it means the web service request code is configured to
dispatch based on SOAPAction (the default case), and the SOAP Action value
in the HTTP header field did not match one of the expected Action values
(which default to the method names unless you override them with
SoapDocumentMethodAttribute.

Try looking at the raw request and compare that to what you expect. To do
this, download George Lindsay's trace web service extension, configure it
into your services web.config as documented, and then open a browser window
and access the following URL: http://localhost/myservice/trace.axd

You'll need to adjust this path, but the important thing is to set
trace="on" in your web.config, and install the tracing extension by putting
the DLL alongside of your service DLL and following the directions in the
download. Then using a client that exhibits this behavior, make a call to
your service endpoint. Then refresh your browser with the trace. You
should see a new POST message - and you can drill in on it to see the text
of the request as received. I suspect you'll find that the call is
populating the SoapAction field in a way that the service does not expect.

I hope this helps

Dan Rogers
Microsoft Corporation