Server did not recognize the value of HTTP Header SOAPAction

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Services' started by moondaddy, May 16, 2006.

  1. moondaddy

    moondaddy Guest

    I have a winforms 1.1 application that has been using web services from a
    1.1 web services project on the backend. I have to keep the winforms app in
    ..Net 1.1 for now, but need to upgrade the backend to 2.0. After
    successfully upgrading the backend project to .Net 2.0 and creating new web
    references in the winforms app to the new 2.0 backend, I'm getting the
    following error when trying to call a web service:

    System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapException:
    System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapException: Server did not recognize the
    value of HTTP Header SOAPAction:
    http://tempuri.org/wsVIPN/wsProj/Get_Project_SearchResults.
    at
    System.Web.Services.Protocols.Soap11ServerProtocolHelper.RouteRequest()
    at
    System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapServerProtocol.RouteRequest(SoapServerMessage
    message)
    at System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapServerProtocol.Initialize()
    at System.Web.Services.Protocols.ServerProtocolFactory.Create(Type type,
    HttpContext context, HttpRequest request, HttpResponse response,
    Boolean& abortProcessing)

    Even when I delete the web reference and recreate it, I still get this
    error. Any ideas on how to resolve this?

    Thanks.

    moondaddy, May 16, 2006

  2. Hi Moondady,

    Welcome to the ASPNET newsgroup.

    From your description, I understand you've developed an ASP.NET webservice
    which is consumed by a winform client application. Both ones are
    constructed under .net framework 1.1. Recently, you upgrade the webservice
    from ASP.NET 1.1 to ASP.NET 2.0, after that the 1.1 winform client broke
    and reported the "Server did not recognize the value of HTTP Header
    SOAPAction" error ,correct?

    Based on my experience, since http SoapAction headeris used to identify the
    webmethod of a certain webservice, the problem is likely due to the client
    application is sending an unexpected SoapAction header to the service. And
    in ASP.NET webservice, the SoapAction header will be determined by both the
    service's namespace and the Action property set on the WebMethod attribute.

    #WebServiceAttribute.Namespace Property
    http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/system.web.services.webserviceattri
    bute.namespace(VS.80).aspx

    #SoapDocumentMethodAttribute.Action Property
    http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/system.web.services.protocols.soapd
    ocumentmethodattribute.action.aspx

    Have you explicitly set this property for your webservice and the
    webmethod? Also, for general troubleshooting, you can create a .net 2.0
    webservice proxy to see whether it can work correctly. If it works, you can
    compare the 2.0 client's generated proxy code with 1.1 client's code or you
    can use some trace tools to capture the raw SOAP xml message sent by
    different clients to find the difference between them.

    Hope this helps.

    Regards,

    Steven Cheng
    Microsoft Online Community Support

    Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
    rights.)

    Steven Cheng[MSFT], May 17, 2006

  3. moondaddy

    moondaddy Guest

    Thanks for the reply.

    I'm very puzzled here. I created a new test winforms project in 1.1. it
    just has a simple form with 1 button on it. the code behind uses the exact
    same code to call the exact same web service as the winforms app described
    in my original post. both winforms apps use a have identical web references
    to the same web service. The test app works OK, but the original app fails.
    both apps should be creating identical credentials and I have not edited any
    attributes or name spaces.

    What's even more puzzling is that the app having this trouble uses a
    different web service to login which works OK. The login uses myLogin.asmx
    and the method that fails uses someOtherWS.asmx (all of which run in the
    same WS app.). However, the login runs from a different project
    (myLoginProject) and the rest of the app runs in myMainProject.

    to answer your last question, yes I have a .net 2.0 winforms test app which
    successfully calls this ws, but I also have the above mentioned 1.1 test app
    which successfully calls this ws. Can you tell me how I can capture the
    text of each proxy to compare with the one failing?

    moondaddy, May 18, 2006
  4. moondaddy

    moondaddy Guest

    I found the problem:

    I have this winform 1.1 project where before I started changing the backend
    to a .net 2.0 ws project, I copied the entire winform solution to a new
    folder and work on this new solution as a staging solution. While I was
    working in this new (copied) solution as the code executed, it would refer
    back to the code in the old - original solution. This was starting to
    really confuse me because when I stepped through the code, I would not see
    the edits I had just made.

    So fix it, I removed all the projects from the staging solution and re-added
    them back in. This cleaned up all the reference issues.

    moondaddy, May 18, 2006
  5. Thanks for your followup Moondaddy,

    Glad that you've figured out the issue.

    Good luck!