Server did not recognize value of HTTP Header SOAPAction

Keith Chadwick

When creating my web service I set the namespace to test.

Now that I have completed the service I have changed the namespace to
http://www.evententerprise.com/schema/2005/contacts + /method

When I use this namespace in the header value for SOAPAction the web service
returns server did not recognze value of http header SOAPAction. When I
check against the web service web page for the method it indicates that I
should be pass what I am passing?

Any ideas what I am doing wrong?

Cheers
Keith

Dan Rogers

In general, you should pass what your service methods expect for
SoapAction. This is usually not the value of the Namespace parameter for
the WebServiceAttribute on your service class.

Since there are a few places where you can control what the Action header
value should be, it's hard to say what you should pass, but this is only an
issue if you are hand-slinging the HTTP request. If you do an update on
your caller-side proxy, the problem should go away. It appeared because
you changed the interface for the service.

In general, you won't want to keep changing the namespace for a service
just because you changed it's server location... they rarely need to be
related since the service interface is something that could run in a number
of locations.

I hope this helps

Dan Rogers
Microsoft Corporation
--------------------

Keith Chadwick

Hey Dan,

I am doing a client side 'hand slinging' http request to the asmx web
service file.

In the Jscript I do setRequestHeader('SOAPAction','"[namespace]/[web service
method]"')

When I view the html my asmx automagically provides and click on the method
it describes the soap envelope for me and that is what I am sending in the
POST. Was working yesterday on another service? I wrote this one and
dropped the submit xml node set to using straight parameters within the soap
message, made sense to me.

Caller side proxy? No such thing straight call to the asmx file at this
point.

Thoughts Yoda?

Cheers
Keith

Keith Chadwick

Never mind Dan, I'm an idiot. Cut and copy code will catch ya every time.
All fine and good setting the namespace correctly but it would help to call
the right asmx file, forest for the trees, think its time for a beer :)

Cheers
Keith