Server Down

Neredbojias

Apparently my gnuish new newsserver was down for quite a while so if'n ya
cussed me out and I didn' cuss ya back, that's why.

I'm a-thinkin' I oughter transmigrate to Google Groups maybe.

Neredbojias

Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Sat, 04 Aug 2007 02:11:24
GMT Neredbojias scribed:
Apparently my gnuish new newsserver was down for quite a while so if'n
ya cussed me out and I didn' cuss ya back, that's why.

I'm a-thinkin' I oughter transmigrate to Google Groups maybe.

Yeah, I should've included that a whole bunch of recent posts are missing
(to me).

Blinky the Shark

Neredbojias said:
Apparently my gnuish new newsserver was down for quite a while so if'n ya
cussed me out and I didn' cuss ya back, that's why.

Which one's that?

cwdjrxyz

Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Sat, 04 Aug 2007 02:11:24
GMT Neredbojias scribed:

Yeah, I should've included that a whole bunch of recent posts are missing
(to me).

It is good to have more than one newsreader, as most I have seen have
problems from time to time. Google groups requires no sign up just to
read. To post there, about all you need is an email address that is
working at the moment so they can confirm you have an address. After
you are signed up you can delete the email address or set to dump all
incoming mail to avoid spam if you wish. Even if you like to use all
of the fancy filtering, etc that some news readers have, Google is a
good backup and alone it serves the needs of many. Your posting name
is unusual enough that there is a good chance that it is not taken on
Google or most newsreaders. Thus, if you can use the same name, many
would not notice if you are posting on your backup reader unless they
examined the headers.

dorayme

cwdjrxyz said:
It is good to have more than one newsreader,

Yes, in Boji's case he should have a _million_ newsreaders. Then
he could take more time reading posts from every which angle and
less on talking so much useless rubbish. I have one newsreader
and I keep very stringent control on what is worth saying and
that is why I have built the reputation I have. I am willing to
sell this reputation, anyone interested?

Neredbojias

Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Sat, 04 Aug 2007 03:00:41
GMT cwdjrxyz scribed:
It is good to have more than one newsreader, as most I have seen have
problems from time to time. Google groups requires no sign up just to
read. To post there, about all you need is an email address that is
working at the moment so they can confirm you have an address. After
you are signed up you can delete the email address or set to dump all
incoming mail to avoid spam if you wish. Even if you like to use all
of the fancy filtering, etc that some news readers have, Google is a
good backup and alone it serves the needs of many. Your posting name
is unusual enough that there is a good chance that it is not taken on
Google or most newsreaders. Thus, if you can use the same name, many
would not notice if you are posting on your backup reader unless they
examined the headers.

You speak the truth but I can't seem to get used to the gg article layout.
However, it's nice to have it as a backup.

Neredbojias

Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Sat, 04 Aug 2007 03:43:43
GMT dorayme scribed:
Yes, in Boji's case he should have a _million_ newsreaders. Then
he could take more time reading posts from every which angle and
less on talking so much useless rubbish. I have one newsreader
and I keep very stringent control on what is worth saying and
that is why I have built the reputation I have. I am willing to
sell this reputation, anyone interested?

Uh, it was the _newsserver_ giving me problems, not my _newsreader_, Miss
Stringent-Control-on-what-is-worth-saying. (Hah!)

Neredbojias

Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Sat, 04 Aug 2007 02:50:40
GMT Blinky the Shark scribed:
Which one's that?

UsenetMonster. $2.95 per month: 10 gigs. Cheap, but if I spent much more,
I might just as well get a discount dial-up account (-like I had before for
$8.95/mo.)

Blinky the Shark

Neredbojias said:
Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Sat, 04 Aug 2007 03:00:41
GMT cwdjrxyz scribed:

You speak the truth but I can't seem to get used to the gg article layout.
However, it's nice to have it as a backup.

Luckly, kill filters *do* examine the headers.

Blinky the Shark

Neredbojias said:
Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Sat, 04 Aug 2007 02:50:40
GMT Blinky the Shark scribed:

UsenetMonster. $2.95 per month: 10 gigs. Cheap, but if I spent much more,

Ah. I thought since it went down you might be posting from a backup.
I might just as well get a discount dial-up account (-like I had before for
$8.95/mo.)

I don't need bunnies, so I use news.individual.net for $14/year as my
primary. I also have a few freebies, and use a couple-three of those most
every day, as well (as well as the in-house servers like at mozilla.org
and spamcop.net and grc.com).

Not counting the unused and unconfigured OE, I also have 7 news clients.

I'm kind of a Usenet junkie. :)

Blinky the Shark

Neredbojias said:
Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Sat, 04 Aug 2007 03:43:43
GMT dorayme scribed:

Uh, it was the _newsserver_ giving me problems, not my _newsreader_, Miss
Stringent-Control-on-what-is-worth-saying. (Hah!)

Speaking of reputations...you *still* aren't binning duhrayme? :)

dorayme

Uh, it was the _newsserver_ giving me problems, not my _newsreader_, Miss
Stringent-Control-on-what-is-worth-saying. (Hah!)

Speaking of reputations...you *still* aren't binning duhrayme? :)[/QUOTE]

Naturally, a sexist low-life shark who prides and preens his
reputation so carefully would not find it beneath himself to make
make asides to others rather than confront the object of his
contempt.

Neredbojias

Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Sat, 04 Aug 2007 05:55:01
GMT Blinky the Shark scribed:
Speaking of reputations...you *still* aren't binning duhrayme? :)

Are you serious? Considering her "scintillating personality", I doubt if
I'd even date her.

Neredbojias

Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Sat, 04 Aug 2007 05:49:07
GMT Blinky the Shark scribed:
Luckly, kill filters *do* examine the headers.

He he, I thought that might get your shoat...

Weaaall, me 'n Bill don't examine headers, we jist enjoys 'em.

Neredbojias

Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Sat, 04 Aug 2007 05:53:09
GMT Blinky the Shark scribed:
Ah. I thought since it went down you might be posting from a backup.

Nah. Just waited till it came back up. Rather like intimacy in the
boudoir revisited.
I don't need bunnies, so I use news.individual.net for $14/year as my
primary.

I tried that when I decided to go hi-speed but had trouble with the
payment methods. The rules are different for Americans and Europeans, -
worse for the former. They try to dun your cc (for cc usage, I guess)
_as well as_ the normal charge, and I would have none of it.

I also have a few freebies, and use a couple-three of those
most every day, as well (as well as the in-house servers like at
mozilla.org and spamcop.net and grc.com).

Not counting the unused and unconfigured OE, I also have 7 news
clients.

I'm kind of a Usenet junkie. :)

You must be subscribed to a lot of different groups 'cause I don't see
your tail around here that often (-lessen you just jaw much less than you
read, sort of an anti-dorayme-type-paradigm.)

dorayme

Neredbojias said:
Are you serious? Considering her "scintillating personality", I doubt if
I'd even date her.

I am sooooooo disappointed. I was soooooo looking forward to a
sort of variation on Fatal Attraction with the variation being
Glen Close succeeds.

Blinky the Shark

Neredbojias said:
Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Sat, 04 Aug 2007 05:55:01
GMT Blinky the Shark scribed:

Are you serious? Considering her "scintillating personality", I doubt if
I'd even date her.

Yes, I'm serious. Binning means killfiling -- putting in the "bozo bin".

Blinky the Shark

Neredbojias said:
Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Sat, 04 Aug 2007
05:53:09 GMT Blinky the Shark scribed:

Nah. Just waited till it came back up. Rather like intimacy in the
boudoir revisited.

I tried that when I decided to go hi-speed but had trouble with the
payment methods. The rules are different for Americans and Europeans,
- worse for the former. They try to dun your cc (for cc usage, I
guess) _as well as_ the normal charge, and I would have none of it.

I'm the former. I had no issues with them the two times I've paid for
the service.
I also have a few freebies, and use a couple-three of those

You must be subscribed to a lot of different groups 'cause I don't see
your tail around here that often (-lessen you just jaw much less than
you read, sort of an anti-dorayme-type-paradigm.)

Probably 30, but some of them are low-traffic groups. I only heavily
participate in...I guess three that run two or three hundred posts or
more a day. Most are mid-sized. I read a lot more than I post here and
in alt.www.webmaster; I'm not as versed in the issues with these two
groups so it's more learning for me and less helping. I did just pick
up a domain to take my Usenet Improvement Project to, so when I get
around to designing that (it'll be completely new) I'll probably be
standing in the help queue here more than I have been. :)

Neredbojias

Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Sat, 04 Aug 2007 08:59:51
GMT dorayme scribed:
I am sooooooo disappointed. I was soooooo looking forward to a
sort of variation on Fatal Attraction with the variation being
Glen Close succeeds.

Actually, I was more taken with the plot disclosed in Basic Instinct.

Neredbojias

Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Sat, 04 Aug 2007 09:00:52
GMT Blinky the Shark scribed:
Yes, I'm serious. Binning means killfiling -- putting in the "bozo
bin".

Nope. I like dorayme. True, she shouldn't have name-called in the way she
did, but she's interesting and intelligent - and a little flaky. That's an
entertaining combination if you ask me. Besides, you have to remember that
when you're dealing with women, you can't be too choosey.

A shark may eat what it finds annoying; a human just tries to avoid
indigestion.