Server Error in '/' Application - W2003

Fred Flintstone

I've been through everything with this. I have a W2003 server with
VS.Net 2005 installed. Any web site I try to create gives me this
error:

Server Error in '/' Application

It then tells me to check the web.config.

- There IS a web.config with Custom Errors set to "Off"
- There is no other web.config file on this server
- If I use the browser on the local machine, I still get this error
(not the detailed one I'm supposed to get)
- I've tried creating different 'test' web sites on this server, same
problem every time.
- The site is defined as an Application in IIS (6)
- I can create/open sites on this server using VS.Net remotely no
problem
- I can access html only pages no problem.

What else? I've scoured web articles for hours, they all suggest
everything I've tried. What else can I check?

Thanks!

Fred Flintstone

Oh fer...

Things have changed in Windows Server 2003 R2. Screw the web.config.
I had to go in to the web site properties and choose the "ASP.Net"
tab. First, it was set for 1.x when my app is 2.0. Then, under the
configuration button, the Custom Errors can be set there to Off or
whatever. Once I did this, I finally gor an actual page error. Once
I fixed that, the whole damned thing worked; apps, database, custom
controls, dll's...

Nevermind, consider it fyi for anyone else lost. :)

Juan T. Llibre

heh, heh...

You wanted to become a web programmer, didn't you ?

:)

Glad to know you got to the root of the problem!