server error on / application

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Eric, Jun 13, 2009.

  1. Eric

    Eric Guest

    Hi,

    My website consists of several ASPX pages and all but one work.
    I have one page called admin.aspx that is only available for my own login.
    The menu to it works the same as to the other pages it just checks first
    who logged in and if that person is allowed.

    When allowed, it does a response.redirect("~\admin.aspx")

    Right after that line is run, I get a "server error on \ appliation".
    If I replace the page with another one, there is no problem.

    I have looked over the code several times but I cannot find it.
    This website is running on an intranet webserver and runs fine.
    This problem occurs after putting it on a external hosting.

    What is the cause of this?

    here is the first line of the file:

    <%@ Page EnableViewStateMac="true" ViewStateEncryptionMode="Auto"
    Language="VB" MasterPageFile="~/masterpage.master"
    AutoEventWireup="false" CodeFile="Admin.aspx.vb" Inherits="AdminPage"
    Title="Field Operations Portal" %>

    The class is called AdminPage and has a large page_init and a large
    page_open event. But it never gets there.

    Please help me solve this.

    rg,
    Eric

    Eric, Jun 13, 2009

  2. On Jun 13, 8:15 pm, Eric <> wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > My website consists of several ASPX pages and all but one work.
    > I have one page called admin.aspx that is only available for my own login..
    > The menu to it works the same as to the other pages  it just checks first
    > who logged in and if that person is allowed.
    >
    > When allowed, it does a response.redirect("~\admin.aspx")
    >
    > Right after that line is run, I get a "server error on \ appliation".
    > If I replace the page with another one, there is no problem.
    >
    > I have looked over the code several times but I cannot find it.
    > This website is running on an intranet webserver and runs fine.
    > This problem occurs after putting it on a external hosting.
    >
    > What is the cause of this?
    >
    > here is the first line of the file:
    >
    > <%@ Page EnableViewStateMac="true" ViewStateEncryptionMode="Auto"
    > Language="VB" MasterPageFile="~/masterpage.master"
    >   AutoEventWireup="false" CodeFile="Admin.aspx.vb" Inherits="AdminPage"
    > Title="Field Operations Portal" %>
    >
    > The class is called AdminPage and has a large page_init and a large
    > page_open event. But it never gets there.
    >
    > Please help me solve this.
    >
    > rg,
    > Eric

    ~\admin.aspx? should be ~/admin.aspx

    Alexey Smirnov, Jun 13, 2009

  3. Eric

    Eric Guest

    Tried both, same error.

    Eric, Jun 13, 2009
  4. =?Utf-8?B?RXJpYw==?= <> wrote in

    > Hi,
    >
    > My website consists of several ASPX pages and all but one work.
    > I have one page called admin.aspx that is only available for my own
    > login. The menu to it works the same as to the other pages it just
    > checks first who logged in and if that person is allowed.
    >
    > When allowed, it does a response.redirect("~\admin.aspx")
    >
    > Right after that line is run, I get a "server error on \ appliation".
    > If I replace the page with another one, there is no problem.
    >
    > I have looked over the code several times but I cannot find it.
    > This website is running on an intranet webserver and runs fine.
    > This problem occurs after putting it on a external hosting.
    >
    > What is the cause of this?
    >
    > here is the first line of the file:
    >
    > <%@ Page EnableViewStateMac="true" ViewStateEncryptionMode="Auto"
    > Language="VB" MasterPageFile="~/masterpage.master"
    > AutoEventWireup="false" CodeFile="Admin.aspx.vb"
    > Inherits="AdminPage"
    > Title="Field Operations Portal" %>
    >
    > The class is called AdminPage and has a large page_init and a large
    > page_open event. But it never gets there.
    >
    > Please help me solve this.
    >
    > rg,
    > Eric

    First, get the whack in the right direction.The next potential error is
    something cached in the temporary ASP.NET files, which can only be fully
    cleared by shutting down Visual Studio, restarting IIS, and manually
    deleting.

    As an aside, some times it is quicker to remove the admin page from the
    site, and try to compile (error). Then create a new admin.aspx and copy
    the code from the removed page. The failed compile will help undo the
    magic that was causing failure.

    If it is the temp files, there is something, somewhere in your code that
    is confusing the compiler. It could be the wrong whack.

    BTW, changing the whack in the site will not clear things out by itself
    if the temp files are corrupted. For some reason the compiler sees both
    the same and will not replace the offending compiled bits.

    --
    Gregory A. Beamer
    MVP; MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA

    Twitter: @gbworld