Server errors galore, local runs fine

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by George Addison, Nov 28, 2003.

  1. I'm caught in a situation where my app runs absolutely
    perfectly on my local machine. When I upload to my ISPs
    server, however, I'm presented with a few errors I have
    not run into, and have exhausted my search for an answer.

    -------------------------------
    1) Error: "The virtual path '/UserControls/uLegal.ascx'
    maps to another application, which is not allowed."

    I'm referencing the user control from the SAME
    application, and have tried using the "~/..." reference,
    with the same result. What else can I check for? Could
    the ISP's IIS settings be misconfigured?

    2) Error: "System.NullReferenceException: Object
    reference not set to an instance of an object."

    I get this whenever I instantiate a custom class. What
    could be causing this?--yes, I am instantiating
    correctly... Could this again be related to server
    misconfiguration?

    3) Error: "Could not load type 'PC.privacy'"

    This is a fresh build, and only happens on some pages.

    -------------------------------

    All this is absent on my local machine...can anyone offer
    some advice?

    George Addison, Nov 28, 2003

  2. George Addison

    Tommy Guest

    Error 1: Make sure only the root of your web applications's virtual
    directory is created as an application. You might get this error if
    your "UserControls" virtual directory is also created as an
    application.

    Error 2 and 3: Make sure the dll assembly of your web application is
    placed in the correct location. It should be in the "bin" subfolder
    directly under the root folder that contains your web application.

    Tommy,

    Tommy, Nov 29, 2003