Server.Execute doesn't work properly in all environments

Jeff Robichaud

Hi,

I have an ASP.NET page that needs to output itself into an HTML file, so I
use the Server.Execute method to do this and then the browser requests the
HTML that has been generated (strange concept but I won't go into all the
business details). This scheme is repeated for 4 pages in my application.

The above works pretty well on my development machine, but on our test
environment, I get 2 sorts of error:

1. In one of the 4 forms, I get the "System.Web.HttpException: Failed to
load viewstate." Fine.

2. Worst, in the remaining 3 forms, the page enters in a neverending
recursive loop. But the call to Server.Excute is located in the Click event
handler of a Button, so I expected this event handler to run only in the
first request, not in the instance run by Server.Execute.

So, I believe my code is clean because it works on my machine. Maybe I am
missing some details related to server configuration and there's something
on the test server that makes the app work unproperly.