    mode for my web application written in C#? I want to make sure it's using
    server gs mode. Thank you for any comment or advice.

    -zeng
    Zeng, Jan 28, 2005

  2. Zeng

    Karl Seguin Guest

    Zeng:
    Take a look at:
    http://odetocode.com/Blogs/scott/archive/2004/07/15/323.aspx

    You'll see some information about how to figure out which your web server is
    currently using as well as some info about how to swtich it.

    Hope this helps
    Karl
    --
    MY ASP.Net tutorials
    http://www.openmymind.net/

    "Zeng" <> wrote in message

    > I just realized that there are 2 modes for garbage collection modes:

    server

    Karl Seguin, Jan 28, 2005

  3. Zeng,
    In addition to the other comments.

    The following site provides some further info on the Server GC verses the
    Workstation GC.

    http://blogs.msdn.com/clyon/archive/2004/09/10/228104.aspx

    http://blogs.msdn.com/clyon/archive/2004/09/08/226981.aspx

    Hope this helps
    Jay

    Jay B. Harlow [MVP - Outlook], Jan 30, 2005
  4. The two mode of GC are 'Concurrent' and 'Preemptive' (also called serial).
    There are two run-time versions "server" and "workstation".
    The server version can only be loaded when hosted (v1.x) and only uses the
    "preemptive GC" mode.
    The workstation version of the runtime is loaded per default on both single
    and multi-proc. machines, the default GC mode being 'preemptive'.
    To enable 'Concurent GC' on multi-proc machines for the workstation version,
    you need to add:

    <RUNTIME>
    <GCCONCURRENT enabled="true" />
    </RUNTIME>

    To your config file.

    Willy.

    Willy Denoyette [MVP], Jan 31, 2005
  5. Willy,
    > The server version can only be loaded when hosted (v1.x) and only uses the
    > "preemptive GC" mode.

    The server version can be loaded in V1.1 SP1 via the app.config

    <configuration>
    <runtime>
    <gcServer enabled="true" />
    </runtime>
    </configuration>

    Jay B. Harlow [MVP - Outlook], Jan 31, 2005
  6. "Jay B. Harlow [MVP - Outlook]" <> wrote in message
    > Willy,
    >> The server version can only be loaded when hosted (v1.x) and only uses
    >> the "preemptive GC" mode.

    > The server version can be loaded in V1.1 SP1 via the app.config
    >
    > <configuration>
    > <runtime>
    > <gcServer enabled="true" />
    > </runtime>
    > </configuration>
    >
    > http://blogs.msdn.com/clyon/archive/2004/09/08/226981.aspx
    >
    > Hope this helps
    > Jay

    Absolutely right Jay, I always forget about v1.1 SP1, I wonder why!

    Willy.
    Willy Denoyette [MVP], Jan 31, 2005
  7. Zeng

    Zeng Guest

    I added this node parallel to <system.web> node in my web.config of the
    application and it gave me error (parsing error), both <system.web> and
    <runtime> are under <configuration> node. What am I missing? Thanks!

    <RUNTIME>
    <GCSERVER enabled="true" />
    </RUNTIME>

    Zeng, Feb 1, 2005
  8. Zeng

    Zeng Guest

    I'm running window 2000 server, I don't have the command tasklist that was
    mentioned in the article, is there anything else I can do to get find out
    which .dll an executable is loading? Thanks!

    Zeng, Feb 1, 2005
  9. Zeng,
    Be certain to get the case correct.

    Also be certain to read:

    http://blogs.msdn.com/clyon/archive/2004/09/10/228104.aspx

    Specifically the second paragraph:

    <quote>
    If the server OS is running on a single-proc machine then the runtime will
    have to load the Workstation GC, since Server GC doesn't work on a single
    proc, so we're down to just the multi-proc issue.
    </quote>

    Further I don't believe the setting is needed under ASP.NET, as ASP.NET is a
    hosted environment that already automatically loads the server GC if
    allowed.

    Chris Lyon's Weblog (http://blogs.msdn.com/clyon/) has a number of useful
    entries on the GC:

    http://blogs.msdn.com/clyon/category/7091.aspx

    Hope this helps
    Jay

    Jay B. Harlow [MVP - Outlook], Feb 1, 2005
  10. Hello,

    you could use the Process Explorer from Sysinternals (www.sysinternals.com).
    Awesome tool!

    Greetings,
    Henning Krause [MVP]
    Visit my website: http://www.infinitec.de
    Try my free Exchange Explorer: Mistaya
    (http://www.infinitec.de/software/mistaya.aspx)

    Henning Krause [MVP], Feb 1, 2005
  11. This setting is not relevant for asp.net.
    The worker process hosting the CLR runs in 'server' mode if on multi-cpu
    box.

    Willy.

    Willy Denoyette [MVP], Feb 1, 2005