Server is displaying "Enter Network Password" logon box when trying to access files

Ezra

Our company's web server is trying to access graphics files on another
server. When I run the app from Visual Studio (1.0) on my localhost,
the server in question is available (which is accessed a virtual
directory) and I'm able to display the files. However, when we logon
to the intranet through a browser, and click the link which will
display the files, we get the "Enter Network Password" logon box. We
set the proper permissions on the folder in question, yet this still
happens. On my localhost, I was having the same problem until I put
identity impersonate="true"
into my web.config file, and it worked fine. I did the same to our
web server's web.config, yet the problem persisted. I also compared
my machine.config to the web server's web config, and there weren't
any differences as far as username="machine" is concerned. The
permissions to the folder on the file server in question include:
Everyone, aspnet_wp account, and asp.net machine account. In iis on
my localhost, I am set to connect to the file server as administrator,
and the same settings are on the iis on the web server. Also, the
intranet on the web server was built without using Visual Studio. So,
the question remains, why am I able to access the file server through
my localhost, but not through the web server?

Thanks,

EA

bruce barker

you are running into the one hop rule. it works on your local box because
the browser is running on the webserver box. try hitting your box from
another and you will see the same behavior.

you can create a vdir on the webserver to share the images (this will
require a domain account), or set a domain account for asp.net to
inpersonate in the web config (fill in the userName and password)

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)