Server.MapPath - Parent Paths Disabled - Windows 2003 IIS 6 - WorkAround

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by Lovely Angel, Aug 26, 2004.

  1. Lovely Angel

    Lovely Angel Guest

    Dear Friends
    Hope you doing great.

    I have recently shifted to a webhost which is Using Windows 2003 and IIS
    6. Now my application was working fine earlier but now I am facing this
    problem

    Server.MapPath() error 'ASP 0175 : 80004005'
    Disallowed Path Characters
    /backend/_add_two.asp, line 103
    The '..' characters are not allowed in the Path parameter for the
    MapPath method.

    Now I found out that this error is because of default setting of Enable
    Parent Paths is disabled by default in IIS 6.0.
    More info can be found at support.microsoft.com/?id=332117.

    Now what if my service provider cant change that setting. What is the
    work around, how to access the directory movving up down. Any help will
    be appreciated.

    Love
    Lovely

    Lovely Angel, Aug 26, 2004

  2. Lovely Angel

    Steven Burn Guest

    I don't see any reason for their not being able to enable it as my host
    upgraded to WS2003 w/IIS6 when it was released and I've had no problems with
    paths so far. Might want to get onto them about the reasons for it being
    disabled ;o)

    --

    Regards

    Steven Burn
    Ur I.T. Mate Group
    www.it-mate.co.uk

    Keeping it FREE!

    Steven Burn, Aug 26, 2004

  3. Lovely Angel

    Carol Carrot Guest

    That is exactly not the answer to either of his questions.
    Why not just answer the questions or step aside?

    Carol Carrot, Aug 26, 2004
  4. Lovely Angel

    joker Guest

    Re: Server.MapPath - Parent Paths Disabled - Windows 2003 IIS 6 -WorkAround

    Microsoft seems to think that it should be disabled on IIS 4 & IIS 5 as
    well.

    Check out the following article over at http://support.microsoft.com

    184717 AspEnableParentPaths MetaBase Property Should Be Set To False

    From what it says it sounds like they thing it should be disabled.

    Since you didn't post the code that creates this error I can't think of
    any workarounds.

    If you post the code we can help you better.

    joker, Aug 26, 2004
  5. Lovely Angel

    Jeff Cochran Guest

    On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 18:51:40 -0700, Lovely Angel
    <> wrote:

    >Dear Friends
    >Hope you doing great.
    >
    >I have recently shifted to a webhost which is Using Windows 2003 and IIS
    >6. Now my application was working fine earlier but now I am facing this
    >problem
    >
    >Server.MapPath() error 'ASP 0175 : 80004005'
    >Disallowed Path Characters
    >/backend/_add_two.asp, line 103
    >The '..' characters are not allowed in the Path parameter for the
    >MapPath method.
    >
    >Now I found out that this error is because of default setting of Enable
    >Parent Paths is disabled by default in IIS 6.0.
    >More info can be found at support.microsoft.com/?id=332117.
    >
    >Now what if my service provider cant change that setting. What is the
    >work around, how to access the directory movving up down. Any help will
    >be appreciated.

    The service provider *can* change it, the problem is whether they will
    or not. The solution is not to use parent paths if they're
    disallowed. Either put the database file in a folder that doesn't
    require parent paths to reach it, use a physical file path instead of
    Server.MapPath, or use a different provider. There are no "work
    arounds" only changes to match the server's configuration.

    Jeff
    Jeff Cochran, Aug 26, 2004
  6. Lovely Angel

    Jeff Cochran Guest

    On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 23:26:09 -0600, "Carol Carrot"
    <> wrote:

    >That is exactly not the answer to either of his questions.
    >Why not just answer the questions or step aside?

    Now I'm sorry I gave you an answer...

    Jeff

    Jeff Cochran, Aug 26, 2004
  7. Carol, as many have mentioned to you before in your previous responses like
    this, there are times that instead of giving an answer to a question, you
    give a solution to the underlying problem. That will often go much further
    than just a flat-out answer to a question, and I think you'll find most
    people appreciate solutions even if not at first.

    Ray at work

    Ray Costanzo [MVP], Aug 26, 2004
  8. Lovely Angel

    Carol Carrot Guest

    >there are times that instead of giving an answer to a question, you give a
    solution to the underlying problem That will often go much >further than
    just a flat-out answer to a question

    Not this time, though does it?
    Why not just try giving the answer, isnstead of doing the other guy's
    thinking?

    The guy was thoughtful enough to demonstrate that he knew the underliying
    issue.
    He even said that he doesn't want to hear about the ISP enabling the parent
    paths.

    message news:...

    Carol Carrot, Aug 27, 2004
  9. Lovely Angel

    Jeff Cochran Guest

    I'm looking, but I can't find that your response has provided an
    answer to the OP's underlying question. Or even a suggestion about
    possible other avenues. Am I missing something?

    Jeff

    Jeff Cochran, Aug 27, 2004
  10. Carol has a habit of doing this. Bitching about how other people are not
    solving the problem. Yet she can't be bothered to do any better...

    --
    http://www.aspfaq.com/
    (Reverse address to reply.)

    Aaron [SQL Server MVP], Aug 27, 2004
  11. Lovely Angel

    Steven Burn Guest

    > He even said that he doesn't want to hear about the ISP enabling the
    parent
    > paths.

    He did......?.... can you point that bit out to me please as I've been
    through his post numerous times and can't find any part that mentions his
    not wanting to hear about the ISP enabling it for him.....

    As for my reply, as has already been pointed out by Jeff Cochran, there is
    no "work-around" other than to either re-code whatever the OP is doing to
    match the servers config, or ask the ISP to enable parent paths.

    --

    Regards

    Steven Burn
    Ur I.T. Mate Group
    www.it-mate.co.uk

    Keeping it FREE!

    Steven Burn, Aug 27, 2004
  12. You do not need to show him that know better than he does about his
    underlying "issues".

    If you do that with an ASP application, everyone loses. A company gets what
    they didn't ask for, because you are being all helpful and clever.

    Just find out what the requriements are, and deliver that.

    the question was "what if my service provider cant change that setting. What
    is the
    work around?"

    The answer is not "I don't know why your provider can't change the setting".

    Pauline Parrot, Aug 27, 2004
  13. You've heard the "think outside the box" saying before, right? That's what
    hopefully the majority of the world, that's the right way to think.

    Imagine you're in a newgroups whose topic is Fords and you read this post:
    "I have one of those Fords that is prone to burst into flames because of the
    poorly desinged ignition system, so I'm trying to mount a fire extinguisher
    in my console. I can't figure out how to put holes in the console for the
    fire extinguisher brackets though."

    Which response would you think is more appropriate?

    A) Use a drill.

    B) Don't mount a fire extinguisher. Take your car to a Ford dealership and
    have the ignition replaced. They'll do that for free by order of recall.

    Ray at work

    Ray Costanzo [MVP], Aug 27, 2004
  14. Lovely Angel

    Steven Burn Guest

    > You do not need to show him that know better than he does about his
    > underlying "issues".

    I never said I knew better than he did.....

    > The answer is not "I don't know why your provider can't change the

    setting".

    It is if they've not given sufficient answers as to why they "can't change
    the setting".....

    Wise man once told me..... "if you don't know something, ask!"

    As has already been mentioned, there is no work around, thus, the OP
    _should_ really ask his/her ISP _why_ they "can't enable it" or if they
    "will enable it"

    If you know the answer to his question however, please, feel free to provide
    it (instead of simply criticizing the replies that have already been given).

    --

    Regards

    Steven Burn
    Ur I.T. Mate Group
    www.it-mate.co.uk

    Keeping it FREE!

    Steven Burn, Aug 27, 2004
  15. Which of the answers was the right one?
    #1 ?
    ?

    how many do we have to wad thru before we get the answer to his specific
    question?

    Pauline Parrot, Aug 27, 2004
  16. Yes, Ray. Bad archery is called thinking outside the box.

    message news:...
    > You've heard the "think outside the box" saying before, right? That's

    what

    and

    Pauline Parrot, Aug 27, 2004
  17. Lovely Angel

    Steven Burn Guest

    If you are sure we're not being helpful, why don't _YOU_ try helping him?

    --

    Regards

    Steven Burn
    Ur I.T. Mate Group
    www.it-mate.co.uk

    Keeping it FREE!

    Steven Burn, Aug 27, 2004
  18. Lovely Angel

    Steven Burn Guest

    ..... and here's me thinking "bad archery" was caused by not enough
    practice....... silly me.

    --

    Regards

    Steven Burn
    Ur I.T. Mate Group
    www.it-mate.co.uk

    Keeping it FREE!

    Steven Burn, Aug 27, 2004
  19. > how many do we have to wad thru before we get the answer to his specific
    > question?

    Nothing that you have posted, that is for certain.
    Aaron [SQL Server MVP], Aug 27, 2004
  20. Lovely Angel

    joker Guest

    Re: Server.MapPath - Parent Paths Disabled - Windows 2003 IIS 6 -WorkAround

    Yes basically unless "Lovely Angel" actually posts some code there is
    nothing else that can be done. At least that is my understanding.

    Also you & Carol Carrot seem to make a habit of complaining when a
    person doesn't post enough information for us to help that user, but you
    are whining that we didn't give a solution. I say to both of you (Carol
    Carrot & Pauline Parrot) need to grow up, this isn't kindergarten after all.

    joker, Aug 28, 2004