Server object error 'ASP 0177 : 80004005'

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by Lars Schouw, Apr 28, 2004.

  1. Lars Schouw

    Lars Schouw Guest

    When I run an ASP script I have I get this error in the browser:

    Server object error 'ASP 0177 : 80004005'

    Server.CreateObject Failed

    /Gateway/gmticket/gmtickethelper.asp, line 114

    Unspecified error

    WHAT DOES THIS ERROR TELL ME?

    The ASP code looks like this:

    function initialize
    initialize = false
    set myagent = server.createobject(classid_agent)
    'response.write( classid_agent )
    'response.write( "initialize called")
    valid_user = myagent.create(session("context"))
    set myagent = nothing
    if valid_user = 0 then exit function
    gvar_mycompid = request("mycompid")
    gvar_myclassid = request("myclassid")
    'response.write( gvar_myclassid )

    set gvar_oreport= server.createobject(gvar_myclassid)
    ' DOTO: hack since GMTicket.JGBond does not work.
    'set gvar_oreport= server.createobject("GMTicket.JGBond.1")
    'Response.write (gvar_oreport.GetContent())

    if gvar_oreport.setowner(session("user_id")) = 0 then
    response.write("unknown error: failed to initialize server.")
    set gvar_oreport = nothing
    exit function
    end if
    initialize = true
    end function

    The object name GMTicket.JGBond will be passed intop the createobject call.
    When I do this GMTicket.JGBond.1 it works!

    I also tried this from C++ and confirmed that it works:
    // testGateway20.cpp : Defines the entry point for the console application.
    //

    // #include <afxdisp.h>
    #include "stdafx.h"
    #include "../Gateway20/Gateway20.h"
    #include "../GMTicket/GmTicket.h"

    int main(int argc, char* argv[])
    {
    long nAnswer;

    HRESULT hr = CoInitialize(NULL);
    if( SUCCEEDED(hr) )
    {
    CComPtr<ITicket> pObj;
    hr = pObj.CoCreateInstance(OLESTR("GMTicket.JGBond.1"));
    if( SUCCEEDED(hr) )
    {
    int iRet;
    hr = pObj->IsEof(&iRet);
    if( SUCCEEDED(hr) )
    printf("IsEof call succeeded\n");
    Lars Schouw, Apr 28, 2004

  2. Aaron Bertrand [MVP], Apr 28, 2004

  3. Lars Schouw

    Lars Schouw Guest

    After some more debugging I found out that I some times pass in an
    empty string to the Server.CreateObject call.
    I managed to check for that so that I at least get an error message
    now!

    Lars
    Lars Schouw, May 1, 2004