    this is possible please?

    Thanks
    CiarĂ¡n

    Ciaran, Jul 19, 2007

  2. Ciaran

    Neredbojias Guest

    Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Thu, 19 Jul 2007 14:23:51 GMT
    Ciaran scribed:

    > Hi,
    > I was wondering if it's possible to starta server session without
    > using a browser? I'm hoping to login to my webmail account from a
    > flash application or maybe google desktop gadget. Does anyone know if
    > this is possible please?

    I'd have to say no because a session ends when you close the browser.

    --
    Neredbojias
    A self-made man who worships his creator

    Neredbojias, Jul 19, 2007

  3. Hello,

    Ciaran wrote:

    > I was wondering if it's possible to starta server session without
    > using a browser? I'm hoping to login to my webmail account from a
    > flash application or maybe google desktop gadget. Does anyone know if
    > this is possible please?

    Sessions usually require a cookie store on the client-side. So in order to
    get this working the user-agent must be able to understand the 'Set-Cookie'
    HTTP header and add the received cookie (or cookies) to every following
    request.
    Sometimes the session id is also passed around using a query parameter in
    the URL - which would make things a bit easier to implement on the
    client-side.

    --
    Benjamin Niemann
    Email: pink at odahoda dot de

    Benjamin Niemann, Jul 19, 2007
  4. Ciaran

    Ciaran Guest

    "Benjamin Niemann" <> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > Ciaran wrote:
    >
    >> I was wondering if it's possible to starta server session without
    >> using a browser? I'm hoping to login to my webmail account from a
    >> flash application or maybe google desktop gadget. Does anyone know if
    >> this is possible please?

    > Sessions usually require a cookie store on the client-side. So in order to
    > get this working the user-agent must be able to understand the
    > 'Set-Cookie'
    > HTTP header and add the received cookie (or cookies) to every following
    > request.
    > Sometimes the session id is also passed around using a query parameter in
    > the URL - which would make things a bit easier to implement on the
    > client-side.
    >
    > --
    > Benjamin Niemann
    > Email: pink at odahoda dot de
    > WWW: http://pink.odahoda.de/

    Hmm, that doesnt sound too promising. I think my webmail program uses
    cookies to store the session. The urls are fairly simple. I was thinking of
    embedding the flash swf in a html file but I'm not sure if the google
    desktop gadgets support html. I think it might just be XML. Any ideas on
    this?

    Ciaran, Jul 20, 2007
  5. Ciaran wrote:
    > "Benjamin Niemann" <> wrote in message
    >> Hello,
    >>
    >> Ciaran wrote:
    >>
    >>> I was wondering if it's possible to starta server session without
    >>> using a browser? I'm hoping to login to my webmail account from a
    >>> flash application or maybe google desktop gadget. Does anyone know if
    >>> this is possible please?

    >> Sessions usually require a cookie store on the client-side. So in order to
    >> get this working the user-agent must be able to understand the
    >> 'Set-Cookie'
    >> HTTP header and add the received cookie (or cookies) to every following
    >> request.
    >> Sometimes the session id is also passed around using a query parameter in
    >> the URL - which would make things a bit easier to implement on the
    >> client-side.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Benjamin Niemann
    >> Email: pink at odahoda dot de
    >> WWW: http://pink.odahoda.de/

    > Hmm, that doesnt sound too promising. I think my webmail program uses
    > cookies to store the session. The urls are fairly simple. I was thinking of
    > embedding the flash swf in a html file but I'm not sure if the google
    > desktop gadgets support html. I think it might just be XML. Any ideas on
    > this?

    What are you actually trying to do? Are you trying to keep tabs on an
    webmail account without constantly going to the site and check if there
    are messages? If so browsers like Firefox have extensions that poll
    webmail account.

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
    http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

    Jonathan N. Little, Jul 20, 2007
  6. Hi,

    Ciaran wrote:

    > "Benjamin Niemann" <> wrote in message
    >
    >> Ciaran wrote:
    >>
    >>> I was wondering if it's possible to starta server session without
    >>> using a browser? I'm hoping to login to my webmail account from a
    >>> flash application or maybe google desktop gadget. Does anyone know if
    >>> this is possible please?

    >> Sessions usually require a cookie store on the client-side. So in order
    >> to get this working the user-agent must be able to understand the
    >> 'Set-Cookie'
    >> HTTP header and add the received cookie (or cookies) to every following
    >> request.
    >> Sometimes the session id is also passed around using a query parameter in
    >> the URL - which would make things a bit easier to implement on the
    >> client-side.

    > Hmm, that doesnt sound too promising. I think my webmail program uses
    > cookies to store the session. The urls are fairly simple. I was thinking
    > of embedding the flash swf in a html file but I'm not sure if the google
    > desktop gadgets support html. I think it might just be XML. Any ideas on
    > this?

    It might be possible to implement session handling with ActionScript. I've
    never tried that so far and a bit of searching did not turn up any build-in
    support for a 'cookie jar' in ActionScript. So it might need some
    additional scripting to get this working...

    And about Google Desktop Gadgets: no idea. The linux version has just been
    release and so far I felt no urge to try it out.

    --
    Benjamin Niemann
    Email: pink at odahoda dot de

    Benjamin Niemann, Jul 20, 2007
  7. Ciaran

    Ciaran Guest

    > What are you actually trying to do? Are you trying to keep tabs on an
    > webmail account without constantly going to the site and check if there
    > are messages? If so browsers like Firefox have extensions that poll
    > webmail account.

    Well.... it's not actually webmail - it's an SMS service provided by my
    operator. I'm trying to make a program that will log into their server and
    allow me to send texts directly to thier handler from my desktop without
    having to go through their very slow and badly designed website.

    > It might be possible to implement session handling with ActionScript. I've
    > never tried that so far and a bit of searching did not turn up any
    > build-in
    > support for a 'cookie jar' in ActionScript. So it might need some
    > additional scripting to get this working...

    This would be perfect. Maybe I'll try posting in the actionscript group. I
    wish there was a google gadgets group!

    Ciaran, Jul 20, 2007