Server-side image creation in ASP.NET Mobile Web Application

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Mobile' started by RicardoVeloso, Oct 20, 2004.

  1. Hi,

    I have to generate an image based on information saved in a DB.
    This image needs to contain the draw of a cinema room places. This work has
    the objective to implement a Online cinema ticket reservation.

    I try this:
    Bitmap bitmap = new Bitmap(10,10);
    System.Drawing.Graphics g = System.Drawing.Graphics.FromImage(bitmap);

    g.DrawLine(new Pen(Color.BurlyWood), 0, 0, 10, 10);

    bitmap.Save("image1.png", System.Drawing.Imaging.ImageFormat.Png);
    Image1.ImageUrl = Server.MapPath(Session.SessionID + ".png");

    But the Save method is not available in .NETCF, and I don't know if this is
    the best way to force an image to be visible on the client-side.

    Any help to turn around this problem?

    Thanx a lot,
    Ricardo Veloso

    RicardoVeloso, Oct 20, 2004

  2. RicardoVeloso

    Ted Harper Guest

    On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 03:31:03 -0700, "RicardoVeloso"
    <> wrote:

    >I try this:
    >Bitmap bitmap = new Bitmap(10,10);
    >System.Drawing.Graphics g = System.Drawing.Graphics.FromImage(bitmap);
    >
    >g.DrawLine(new Pen(Color.BurlyWood), 0, 0, 10, 10);
    >
    >bitmap.Save("image1.png", System.Drawing.Imaging.ImageFormat.Png);
    >Image1.ImageUrl = Server.MapPath(Session.SessionID + ".png");
    >
    >But the Save method is not available in .NETCF, and I don't know if this is
    >the best way to force an image to be visible on the client-side.

    If you are creating the image on the server side as your post says,
    then you shouldn't be worred about what the Compact Framework does or
    doesn't support, since the image-generation code is NOT running on the
    handheld device. In your web server code (running under the full .Net
    Framework) you will be doing more-or-less the same to target a mobile
    browser as a "full featured" desktop PC browser.

    That is, on the web server you will have a SomeDynamicImage.aspx page
    which actually returns a GIF or JPEG image, and you will reference
    that inside a mobile image control as something like:

    <mobile:Image ID="imgRiskChart" Runat="server"
    ImageUrl="SomeDynamicImage.aspx"></mobile:Image>

    There are a few things to be careful of when writing this dynamic
    image to support mobile devices (and I am assuming you already have
    the equivalent dynamic image creation working for full desktop
    browsers - if not I highly recommend you do this first, just for ease
    of debugging your overall chart creation code):

    * You should extend System.Web.UI.Page (rather than MobilePage) for
    your dynamic image ASPX, to avoid it being attempted to be processed
    by the ASP.Net Mobile framework (which doesn't understand a page
    having an image MIME type).

    * Your calling page (ie the page with the mobile:image tag referencing
    the dynamic image) will need to pass in the image size (X/Y
    dimenstions), colour depth, preferred MIME type for output image (eg
    GIF, JPG, WBMP), and do this dynamically in the codebehind for each
    request, because all handheld devices are different.

    * When building/updating the ImageUrl in the mobile:Image control,
    you'll also have to manually append the authentication cookie if you
    are using forms authentication and cookieless (as you'll probably have
    to for good wide mobile device support), since this won't be affixed
    to the ImageURL automatically by the framework (and if you don't, the
    framework will redirect the image content to the logon page, rather
    than your rendering code getting run).

    Aside from that stuff, you _should_ be able to get your existing
    (non-Mobile) ASP.Net dynamic chart/image code working for mobile
    clients pretty quickly.

    Hope this helps,
    ted.h.
    --