server-side javascript compilation using spidermonkey

wyl_lyf

Hello!

I know that spidermonkey can compile and detect if the javascript has
any syntax errors. But I'm not sure if it can handle javascript to be
ran on the server-side? example: ..response.write("<html>"...)
any ideas? thanks!

Martin Honnen

I know that spidermonkey can compile and detect if the javascript has
any syntax errors. But I'm not sure if it can handle javascript to be
ran on the server-side? example: ..response.write("<html>"...)

Netscape for some years had a server-side JavaScript product that used
Spidermonkey as far as I know, of course Spidermonkey only provides core
JavaScript and then whoever used it or wants to use it on the server
needed to added host objects/methods like response/response.write.
And at least with Netscape's server-side JavaScript you couldn't simply
write and then serve a page with HTML and embedded script as you can do
with ASP, you had to compile the whole page.