    one of the aforementioned languages?
    Thanks.

    , Jan 7, 2006

  2. wrote:
    > I want to program some server-side form processing programs, and I was
    > wondering which would be the best language to use for this purpose:
    > Perl, C, C++?

    Nobody can tell without knowing (a lot) more of what it is you intend to
    do. Perl is probably easier.

    > Also, would I be better off learning CGI before or after
    > one of the aforementioned languages?

    Maybe one of these tutorials might get you started:
    http://www.cgi.resourceindex.com/Documentation/CGI_Tutorials/

    --
    Gunnar Hjalmarsson

    Gunnar Hjalmarsson, Jan 7, 2006

    "Nobody can tell without knowing (a lot) more of what it is you intend
    do. Perl is probably easier."

    Sorry, I should've been more specific. What I'm wanting to do is allow
    people to sign up to a site, with confirmation e-mail; allow them to
    submit information which will then be saved into HTML pages which would
    be stored in organised folders; and do some message boards.

    Thanks.

    , Jan 7, 2006

    "Nobody can tell without knowing (a lot) more of what it is you intend
    do. Perl is probably easier."

    Sorry, I should've been more specific. What I'm wanting to do is the
    following things: allowing people to sign in to the site, with a
    confirmation e-mail when they sign up; allowing people to submit
    information which will be inputted into dynamically generated HTML
    pages which will be stored in a logical filing system; and have a
    message board.

    Thanks.

    , Jan 7, 2006
  5. Also sprach :

    > "Nobody can tell without knowing (a lot) more of what it is you intend
    > do. Perl is probably easier."

    Your attempt to quote some material sure is appreciated in this group.
    However, you can have google do the quoting for you. Please see here:

    <http://groups.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=14213&topic=250>

    Then all you have to do is trim the quoted stuff (if necessary) and
    insert your comments into the appropriate places which is: Right below
    the respective paragraph you're responding to.

    > Sorry, I should've been more specific. What I'm wanting to do is the
    > following things: allowing people to sign in to the site, with a
    > confirmation e-mail when they sign up; allowing people to submit
    > information which will be inputted into dynamically generated HTML
    > pages which will be stored in a logical filing system; and have a
    > message board.

    Perl seems like a natural fit for that kind of thing. But so do the
    other server-side scripting languages such as Ruby or PHP. Check what
    your server-hoster provides. If it only has one language, then you'll
    evidently have to use it.

    As for C and C++ you mentioned in a parallel thread: I would strongly
    advice against those. These programs require compilation and in general
    such applications need to be compiled on the machine on which they are
    supposed to run. If you are moving your site to another server, all your
    programs might require re-compilation. When not having shell-access,
    this compilation step can become quite cumbersome or even impossible.

    Tassilo
    --
    use bigint;

    Tassilo v. Parseval, Jan 7, 2006
  6. wrote:
    > "Nobody can tell without knowing (a lot) more of what it is you intend
    > to do. Perl is probably easier."
    >
    > Sorry, I should've been more specific. What I'm wanting to do is the
    > following things: allowing people to sign in to the site, with a
    > confirmation e-mail when they sign up; allowing people to submit
    > information which will be inputted into dynamically generated HTML
    > pages which will be stored in a logical filing system; and have a
    > message board.

    Okay. I do such stuff in Perl, and since this is a Perl group, that's
    true for many other readers here. If it's not a huge site, Perl + CGI,
    or possibly mod_perl, would do fine.

    --
    Gunnar Hjalmarsson

    Gunnar Hjalmarsson, Jan 7, 2006

    And also a search function.

    , Jan 7, 2006

    Thanks for the information.

    , Jan 7, 2006
  9. Tassilo v. Parseval wrote:
    > Perl seems like a natural fit for that kind of thing. But so do the
    > other server-side scripting languages such as Ruby or PHP. Check what
    > your server-hoster provides. If it only has one language, then you'll
    > evidently have to use it.

    To me, that doesn't sound as an appropriate base for choosing
    programming language. Changing web host is relatively easy, and nowadays
    there are many virtual server alternatives available that allow you to
    install whatever software you wish. I'm quite happy with this host, for
    instance: http://www.openhosting.com/

    --
    Gunnar Hjalmarsson

    Gunnar Hjalmarsson, Jan 7, 2006

    > Okay. I do such stuff in Perl, and since this is a Perl group, that's
    > true for many other readers here. If it's not a huge site, Perl + CGI,
    > or possibly mod_perl, would do fine.

    What would be best if it were a big site?

    , Jan 7, 2006
  11. wrote:
    >>Okay. I do such stuff in Perl, and since this is a Perl group, that's
    >>true for many other readers here. If it's not a huge site, Perl + CGI,
    >>or possibly mod_perl, would do fine.

    > What would be best if it were a big site?

    Perl with mod_perl might still be sufficient. C or C++ has performance
    advantages, but please note Tassilo's warnings.

    Please don't expect anybody to tell you which is the the _best_
    language. Just go for a language that is suitable for the task you are
    about to accomplish. Tassilo mentioned a few of them.

    --
    Gunnar Hjalmarsson

    Gunnar Hjalmarsson, Jan 7, 2006

    > Perl with mod_perl might still be sufficient. C or C++ has performance
    > advantages, but please note Tassilo's warnings.
    >
    > Please don't expect anybody to tell you which is the the _best_
    > language. Just go for a language that is suitable for the task you are
    > about to accomplish. Tassilo mentioned a few of them.

    Thanks. I appreciate the information and your time.

    , Jan 7, 2006

    > Perl with mod_perl might still be sufficient. C or C++ has performance
    > advantages, but please note Tassilo's warnings.
    >
    > Please don't expect anybody to tell you which is the the _best_
    > language. Just go for a language that is suitable for the task you are
    > about to accomplish. Tassilo mentioned a few of them.

    Thanks. I appreciate your information and your taking of time to answer
    me.

    , Jan 7, 2006
  14. On 6 Jan 2006 18:53:43 -0800, in comp.lang.perl.misc ,
    in
    <> wrote:

    >I want to program some server-side form processing programs, and I was
    >wondering which would be the best language to use for this purpose:
    >Perl, C, C++? Also, would I be better off learning CGI before or after
    >one of the aforementioned languages?

    If you are still looking at this thread I would suggest that you go to
    a group aimed at the client-side technology you use. Perl, C, C++,
    etc. are all good languages for a purpose, but as was pointed out the
    people here all use Perl. The best guess at an appropriate language
    for a purpose is the language you already know. The next best guess is
    the language your colleges/friends know. If those people use
    Perl/PHP/Ruby (my guesses) then use that. Or find people doing what
    you do and ask them.

    Or hire a programmer. ;-)

    --
    Matt Silberstein

    Do something today about the Darfur Genocide

    http://www.beawitness.org
    http://www.darfurgenocide.org
    http://www.savedarfur.org

    "Darfur: A Genocide We can Stop"