Server-side programming language -- which is best?

stephenburgess1972

I want to program some server-side form processing programs, and I was
wondering which would be the best language to use for this purpose:
Perl, C, C++? Also, would I be better off learning CGI before or after
one of the aforementioned languages?
Thanks.

Gunnar Hjalmarsson

I want to program some server-side form processing programs, and I was
wondering which would be the best language to use for this purpose:
Perl, C, C++?

Nobody can tell without knowing (a lot) more of what it is you intend to
do. Perl is probably easier.
Also, would I be better off learning CGI before or after
one of the aforementioned languages?

Maybe one of these tutorials might get you started:
http://www.cgi.resourceindex.com/Documentation/CGI_Tutorials/

stephenburgess1972

"Nobody can tell without knowing (a lot) more of what it is you intend
do. Perl is probably easier."

Sorry, I should've been more specific. What I'm wanting to do is allow
people to sign up to a site, with confirmation e-mail; allow them to
submit information which will then be saved into HTML pages which would
be stored in organised folders; and do some message boards.

Thanks.

stephenburgess1972

"Nobody can tell without knowing (a lot) more of what it is you intend
do. Perl is probably easier."

Sorry, I should've been more specific. What I'm wanting to do is the
following things: allowing people to sign in to the site, with a
confirmation e-mail when they sign up; allowing people to submit
information which will be inputted into dynamically generated HTML
pages which will be stored in a logical filing system; and have a
message board.

Thanks.

Tassilo v. Parseval

Also sprach (e-mail address removed):
"Nobody can tell without knowing (a lot) more of what it is you intend
do. Perl is probably easier."

Your attempt to quote some material sure is appreciated in this group.
However, you can have google do the quoting for you. Please see here:

<http://groups.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=14213&topic=250>

Then all you have to do is trim the quoted stuff (if necessary) and
insert your comments into the appropriate places which is: Right below
the respective paragraph you're responding to.
Sorry, I should've been more specific. What I'm wanting to do is the
following things: allowing people to sign in to the site, with a
confirmation e-mail when they sign up; allowing people to submit
information which will be inputted into dynamically generated HTML
pages which will be stored in a logical filing system; and have a
message board.

Perl seems like a natural fit for that kind of thing. But so do the
other server-side scripting languages such as Ruby or PHP. Check what
your server-hoster provides. If it only has one language, then you'll
evidently have to use it.

As for C and C++ you mentioned in a parallel thread: I would strongly
advice against those. These programs require compilation and in general
such applications need to be compiled on the machine on which they are
supposed to run. If you are moving your site to another server, all your
programs might require re-compilation. When not having shell-access,
this compilation step can become quite cumbersome or even impossible.

Tassilo

Gunnar Hjalmarsson

"Nobody can tell without knowing (a lot) more of what it is you intend
to do. Perl is probably easier."

Sorry, I should've been more specific. What I'm wanting to do is the
following things: allowing people to sign in to the site, with a
confirmation e-mail when they sign up; allowing people to submit
information which will be inputted into dynamically generated HTML
pages which will be stored in a logical filing system; and have a
message board.

Okay. I do such stuff in Perl, and since this is a Perl group, that's
true for many other readers here. If it's not a huge site, Perl + CGI,
or possibly mod_perl, would do fine.

Gunnar Hjalmarsson

Tassilo said:
Perl seems like a natural fit for that kind of thing. But so do the
other server-side scripting languages such as Ruby or PHP. Check what
your server-hoster provides. If it only has one language, then you'll
evidently have to use it.

To me, that doesn't sound as an appropriate base for choosing
programming language. Changing web host is relatively easy, and nowadays
there are many virtual server alternatives available that allow you to
install whatever software you wish. I'm quite happy with this host, for
instance: http://www.openhosting.com/

stephenburgess1972

Okay. I do such stuff in Perl, and since this is a Perl group, that's
true for many other readers here. If it's not a huge site, Perl + CGI,
or possibly mod_perl, would do fine.

What would be best if it were a big site?

Gunnar Hjalmarsson

What would be best if it were a big site?

Perl with mod_perl might still be sufficient. C or C++ has performance
advantages, but please note Tassilo's warnings.

Please don't expect anybody to tell you which is the the _best_
language. Just go for a language that is suitable for the task you are
about to accomplish. Tassilo mentioned a few of them.

stephenburgess1972

Perl with mod_perl might still be sufficient. C or C++ has performance
advantages, but please note Tassilo's warnings.

Please don't expect anybody to tell you which is the the _best_
language. Just go for a language that is suitable for the task you are
about to accomplish. Tassilo mentioned a few of them.

Thanks. I appreciate the information and your time.

stephenburgess1972

Perl with mod_perl might still be sufficient. C or C++ has performance
advantages, but please note Tassilo's warnings.

Please don't expect anybody to tell you which is the the _best_
language. Just go for a language that is suitable for the task you are
about to accomplish. Tassilo mentioned a few of them.

Thanks. I appreciate your information and your taking of time to answer
me.

Matt Silberstein

I want to program some server-side form processing programs, and I was
wondering which would be the best language to use for this purpose:
Perl, C, C++? Also, would I be better off learning CGI before or after
one of the aforementioned languages?

If you are still looking at this thread I would suggest that you go to
a group aimed at the client-side technology you use. Perl, C, C++,
etc. are all good languages for a purpose, but as was pointed out the
people here all use Perl. The best guess at an appropriate language
for a purpose is the language you already know. The next best guess is
the language your colleges/friends know. If those people use
Perl/PHP/Ruby (my guesses) then use that. Or find people doing what
you do and ask them.

Or hire a programmer. ;-)

--
Matt Silberstein

Do something today about the Darfur Genocide

http://www.beawitness.org
http://www.darfurgenocide.org
http://www.savedarfur.org

"Darfur: A Genocide We can Stop"