Server-side Scripting Language..

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Rasmus Kromann-Larsen, Aug 9, 2007.

  1. Hey,

    Now I'm doing a ASP.NET 2.0 C# application and customization is one of
    the main requirements. So what I need is a smaller (easier for non-
    developers) scripting language to allow writing small scripts that
    will be executed -server-side-.

    At the moment I'm working with Lua through LuaInterface and have made
    a small DSL (domain-specific-language) in Lua using functions /
    closures. This makes it easy to write configurations in the script
    boxes.

    However, having one Lua interpreter for each session seems wasteful
    and using reflection through LuaInterface to change properties of
    ASP.NET objects seems like this could quickly become both a memory and
    performance bottleneck.

    So I was wondering, what do other people do in this situation? C#
    scriping? JScript? implement a small lexer / parser themselves
    (personally I like the expression evaluation capabilities of small
    scriping languages - and they're usually easier to extend)...?

    Please :)

    Rasmus Kromann-Larsen, Aug 9, 2007