server textbox control, browser compatibility

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Controls' started by will eichert, Nov 25, 2003.

  1. will eichert

    will eichert Guest

    Here's an easy one (2nd time I've posted this issue, maybe I'll get a
    reply this time!):

    How do you use the web server textbox control in different browsers
    (IE works fine, but Netscape & Mozilla don't). The width of the
    control is ignored.

    I've tried the different settings for targetSchema in the document
    class that contains the form, and it didn't seem to make any
    difference.

    One of the controls:
    <asp:textbox id="address" style="LEFT: 24px; POSITION: absolute; TOP:
    280px" runat="server" Width="320px" Height="19px"></asp:textbox>

    To contact me via email, remove the DELETEME in the address.

    Thanks,

    Will
    will eichert, Nov 25, 2003

  2. Will,

    You may try setting the height/width via the style:

    <asp:textbox id="address" style="LEFT: 24px; POSITION: absolute; TOP:
    280px; HEIGHT: 19px; WIDTH: 320px" runat="server"></asp:textbox>

    -Alan

    Alan Corbett \(.NET MVP\), Nov 25, 2003

  3. will eichert

    will eichert Guest

    Thanks, that works.

    Is there a way to have the .Net IDE create server controls this way by
    default? It's a lot of trouble to change each one in the html... And
    why didn't Microsoft do it that way in the first place? I don't care
    what browser you prefer, most internet websites need to support more
    browsers than just IE...

    Thanks again,

    Will

    will eichert, Nov 25, 2003
  4. lol, I'm going to conspicuously not answer those questions.

    No, I know of no way to enable that sort of functionality within the
    IDE...of course, stylesheets would do the trick, assuming you wanted the
    textboxes the same size.

    Alan Corbett \(.NET MVP\), Nov 25, 2003
  5. will eichert

    Chris Lane Guest

    Not that I know of but maybe via a User Control.

    >It's a lot of trouble to change each one in the html...

    Just use a style sheet with an HTML-Server INPUT Text
    control instead and give your related Input Controls a
    class name.

    >And
    >why didn't Microsoft do it that way in the first place? I

    don't care
    >what browser you prefer, most internet websites need to

    support more
    >browsers than just IE...
    >
    >Thanks again,
    >
    >Will
    >

    >On Tue, 25 Nov 2003 15:19:04 -0700, "Alan Corbett \(.NET

    MVP\)"
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>Will,
    >>
    >>You may try setting the height/width via the style:
    >>
    >><asp:textbox id="address" style="LEFT: 24px; POSITION:

    absolute; TOP:
    >>280px; HEIGHT: 19px; WIDTH: 320px"

    runat="server"></asp:textbox>

    >>-Alan
    >>
    >>"will eichert" <> wrote in

    message

    Chris Lane, Nov 26, 2003
  6. will eichert

    Chris Lane Guest

    Sorry this works with Web Controls too but give the
    controls that you want to change style on a CSSClass name
    so as to not affect the styles of other controls not
    intended to change.

    in

    Chris Lane, Nov 26, 2003
  7. right.

    We typically extend all the controls and add a default property to the
    CssClass, among other things.

    Alan Corbett \(.NET MVP\), Nov 26, 2003
  8. will eichert

    will eichert Guest

    Thanks, I'll see if I can figure out how to do this.

    Will

    will eichert, Nov 26, 2003