server timeouts

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Tony Lindsay, Mar 2, 2010.

  1. Tony Lindsay

    Tony Lindsay Guest

    I have developed an application in ASP.NET/VB.Net using SQL Server as a
    backend. It is a fundraisinng/membership management application similar to
    CRM.

    The system is fast and reliable, except in one condition. When a user leaves
    the application and does other work, then returns to load another contact,
    instead of an immediate response the server can take up to 25 seconds to
    server the data, against 1 second under fulltime or continuous use.

    These are example statistics from Fiddler, this is response after a period
    of inactivity

    Request Count: 1
    Bytes Sent: 17,096
    Bytes Received: 58,918

    ACTUAL PERFORMANCE
    --------------
    ClientConnected: 11:49:50:5020
    ClientDoneRequest: 11:49:50:5020
    Gateway Determination: 0ms
    DNS Lookup: 0ms
    TCP/IP Connect: 78ms
    ServerConnected: 11:49:50:5830
    ServerGotRequest: 11:49:50:5830
    ServerBeginResponse: 11:50:13:5920
    ServerDoneResponse: 11:50:14:0460
    ClientBeginResponse: 11:50:13:5920
    ClientDoneResponse: 11:50:14:0460

    Overall Elapsed: 00:00:23.5440000

    and this is a fast or continuous use response:

    Request Count: 1
    Bytes Sent: 17,084
    Bytes Received: 55,900

    ACTUAL PERFORMANCE
    --------------
    ClientConnected: 11:47:18:7410
    ClientDoneRequest: 11:47:18:7410
    Gateway Determination: 0ms
    DNS Lookup: 0ms
    TCP/IP Connect: 0ms
    ServerConnected: 11:47:18:7410
    ServerGotRequest: 11:47:18:7410
    ServerBeginResponse: 11:47:19:3940
    ServerDoneResponse: 11:47:19:6330
    ClientBeginResponse: 11:47:19:3940
    ClientDoneResponse: 11:47:19:6330

    Overall Elapsed: 00:00:00.8920000

    The difference is considerable and obviously I can't deply an app that
    sleeps like this. Any ideas? I have adjusted all the server side timeout
    settings I can find. The app runs in its own application pool.

    Thanks

    --
    Tony
    Tony Lindsay, Mar 2, 2010