server using winsock

Chris Thompson

I'm trying to mess around with creating a multi-user server but I'm really
clueless as to how to start. I don't know what I'd need to do, and more than
likely it's over my head, but I'd still like to mess around. If anybody
could point me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated.

Jim Fischer

Chris said:
I'm trying to mess around with creating a multi-user server but I'm really
clueless as to how to start. I don't know what I'd need to do, and more than
likely it's over my head, but I'd still like to mess around. If anybody
could point me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated.

My first suggestion is to ask for help in the Windows programming
newsgroups. The Microsoft Windows 'winsock' library is completely
unrelated to the C/C++ programming languages proper. (IOW, the 'winsock'
library is a Microsoft Windows beast; it is not defined by the
international ISO/IEC standards that define the C and C++ programming
languages.) FWIW, there are some Win32/winsock programming newsgroups on
Usenet, and Microsoft has a public NNTP newsgroup server
(msnews.microsoft.com) that has many Windows programming newsgroups you
can use. For example, the Visual C++ newsgroups on Microsoft's public
NNTP server all start with

microsoft.public.vc.*

My second suggestion is to buy some books that discuss this subject. The
folks in the Windows programming newsgroups can recommend some good (and
bad!) books on the subject of winsock programming.