    Any advice appreciated!

    Rob
    :)

    Robert Mark Bram, Aug 15, 2004

  2. If you really feel that using free ASP-based upload code is going to save
    you time and money, and is going to perform as well as a component, then
    sure you can. However take care when deciding which order and which tags to
    use:

    http://www.aspfaq.com/2045

    --
    http://www.aspfaq.com/
    (Reverse address to reply.)

    Aaron [SQL Server MVP], Aug 15, 2004

  3. Hi Aaron,

    Thank you for responding!

    > http://www.aspfaq.com/2045

    Thank you very much for the link!

    > If you really feel that using free ASP-based upload code is going to save
    > you time and money, and is going to perform as well as a component, then
    > sure you can.

    I must admit to being somewhat of an ingenue in the area of server side
    scripting: what do you mean by components?
    Does this mean having special DLL's that I can use instead?
    Would the use to install something?
    Or worse, would the component break if the user turns off ActiveX
    capabilities in their browser?

    If you still have enough patience to answer another question.. why would
    ASP-based upload code be faster and/or cheaper than a component?

    Rob
    :)

    Robert Mark Bram, Aug 15, 2004
  4. > I must admit to being somewhat of an ingenue in the area of server side
    > scripting: what do you mean by components?
    > Does this mean having special DLL's that I can use instead?
    > Would the use to install something?

    Yes.

    > Or worse, would the component break if the user turns off ActiveX
    > capabilities in their browser?

    No, it has nothing to do with client-side ActiveX.

    > If you still have enough patience to answer another question.. why would
    > ASP-based upload code be faster and/or cheaper than a component?

    I believe others have performed extensive testing and for the large majority
    of file sizes, the component always outperformed the pure ASP version.

    By cheaper, I mean that most components are $100 or less (and often provided
    for free by your web host). People are stuck on this idea that cash is
    money but time and effort or not. So, if you spend two hours writing your
    own upload code, and five hours debugging it, unless you consider your time
    relatively worthless, you've spent more than $100. And haven't gained
    anything (see note on performance above) except maybe a few more gray hairs.

    Aaron [SQL Server MVP], Aug 15, 2004
  5. Robert Mark Bram

    Evertjan. Guest

    Aaron [SQL Server MVP] wrote on 15 aug 2004 in
    > By cheaper, I mean that most components are $100 or less (and often
    > provided for free by your web host). People are stuck on this idea
    > that cash is money but time and effort or not. So, if you spend two
    > hours writing your own upload code, and five hours debugging it,
    > unless you consider your time relatively worthless, you've spent more
    > than $100. And haven't gained anything (see note on performance
    > above) except maybe a few more gray hairs.

    I do disagree on the word 'anything', Aaron:

    1
    You will have gained important experience by implementing something
    yourself. That is even worth far more than paying euro 100 for a tutorial.
    [Yes I know Euro>$ nowadays]

    2
    Procesing performance is only important if you expect heavy use of the
    code. Many pages I build are only for my own use, like db look up tables
    for my work, even if they are on internet [because I work fom different
    places on different networks], or for family use, like a family tree. Euro
    100 is a lot of money for such applications.

    --
    Evertjan.
    The Netherlands.

    Evertjan., Aug 15, 2004