Service Unavailable with ASP.NET 2.0

Casper Hornstrup

I decided to try out VS.NET 2005 Beta 1 refresh and ASP.NET 2.0.

I built a simple page and published it to a virtual directory in
C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\WebSite1. VS.NET 2005 precompiled it.
I get a Service Unavailable error message from IIS6.

Now I uninstalled the ASP.NET 1.1 and ASP.NET 2.0 isapi filters and
reinstalled the ASP.NET 2.0 isapi filter again.
Still getting Service Unavailable though.

I noticed that ASP.NET 2.0 was not allowed in Web Services Extensions so I
enabled that.
Shouldn't the VS.NET 2005 installer enable it? Still getting Service
Unavailable though.
What can I do to correct the problem?

Casper

Juan T. Llibre

re:
Shouldn't the VS.NET 2005 installer enable it?

Nope.

Shipping the server totally unenabled is more secure.
That way, the admin enables only what's needed.

re:
Still getting Service Unavailable though.

When you run .NET 1.1 and .NET 2.0 simultaneously,
you *must* run them in different Application Pools.

Go into your IIS MMC, create an Application Pool and,
after you've created it, assign all your 1.1 apps to the new pool
( leave the 2.0 apps in the default AppPool ).

Also, go get Denis Bauer's ASP.NET Version Switcher
http://www.denisbauer.com/NETTools/ASPNETVersionSwitcher.aspx

It will make your life a lot easier when switching
applications to run under a different ASP.NET version.

Casper Hornstrup

Juan T. Llibre said:
re:

When you run .NET 1.1 and .NET 2.0 simultaneously,
you *must* run them in different Application Pools.

Go into your IIS MMC, create an Application Pool and,
after you've created it, assign all your 1.1 apps to the new pool
( leave the 2.0 apps in the default AppPool ).

Also, go get Denis Bauer's ASP.NET Version Switcher
http://www.denisbauer.com/NETTools/ASPNETVersionSwitcher.aspx

It will make your life a lot easier when switching
applications to run under a different ASP.NET version.

Thanks. Your suggestions helped a lot.

To the VS.NET 2005 team: If the installer would ask if it should enable the
ASP.NET 2.0 isapi filter then that would avoid some confusion.

Casper

Juan T. Llibre

re:
Thanks. Your suggestions helped a lot.

Glad to have been of help!

Your suggestion that an installation fork be included,
to ask whether the 2.0 version should be enabled
after installation is a good one, although I'd settle
for a screen telling the user that they need to be enabled,
plus a note in the README file.