serving xhtml with php

Chung Leong

Nikita said:
Hi,
See the active thread in alt.html entitled "XHTML vs HTML", especially
the part about how this question usually ignites flame wars.

That's the whole point. This isn't a pointless debate like Linux vs.
Windows or Coke vs. Pepsi. People choose what OS they use. People
choose what they drink. Don't like Coke? --don't buy it. No one is
obliged to follow the Coca Company's advise. The W3C on the other hand,
as a quasi-official body, enjoys a certain aura of authority. Keeping
quiet about its decisions means implicit acquiescence.

Nikita the Spider

Chung Leong said:
That's the whole point. This isn't a pointless debate like Linux vs.
Windows or Coke vs. Pepsi. People choose what OS they use. People
choose what they drink. Don't like Coke? --don't buy it. No one is
obliged to follow the Coca Company's advise. The W3C on the other hand,
as a quasi-official body, enjoys a certain aura of authority. Keeping
quiet about its decisions means implicit acquiescence.

I guess when you asked, "What is the point of XHTML anyway?" I didn't
realize it was a rhetorical question. There's at least one good answer
in that thread which is why I referred you to it.

As to the issue of keeping quiet, I don't think that's been a problem. I
think the problem is just the opposite -- the debate's been beaten to
death and there's precious little to be added to it at this point.

f-ups to PHP groups trimmed.

Jerry Stuckle

Chung said:
That's the whole point. This isn't a pointless debate like Linux vs.
Windows or Coke vs. Pepsi. People choose what OS they use. People
choose what they drink. Don't like Coke? --don't buy it. No one is
obliged to follow the Coca Company's advise. The W3C on the other hand,
as a quasi-official body, enjoys a certain aura of authority. Keeping
quiet about its decisions means implicit acquiescence.

Chung,

OTOH, joining them and adding your own input means you may influence
their decisions.

--
==================
Remove the "x" from my email address

Rik

Jerry said:
OTOH, joining them and adding your own input means you may influence
their decisions.

That's true. Inluence is everything, even at W3C. They're thinking about the
pratical implications though.

Normally (not always) they're unbiased decisions. Which is a Good Thing.

Grtz,

Colin

What can html 4.01 do that xhtml can't?

As the spec [link: ] says, "[XHTML is ]a reformulation of HTML 4 as an
XML 1.0 application"

If i had to pick one to go with, i'd chose XHTML (Transitional,
personally, at this time...)

I'd rather be working with the better technology and have to deal with
'the browser issue' than push HTML 4.01 to the bitter end of its
usefulness/abilities.

Jonathan N. Little

Colin said:
What can html 4.01 do that xhtml can't?

As the spec [link: ] says, "[XHTML is ]a reformulation of HTML 4 as an
XML 1.0 application"

Sort and sweet, work for MS IE.

usenet+2004

Colin:
What can html 4.01 do that xhtml can't?

nothing, since neither (instances of) html4.01 nor xhtml *do* anything.

scnr.

another question, heading back in a more PHP/server-side direction:
why one or the other?

boclair

Colin said:
What can html 4.01 do that xhtml can't?

As the spec [link: ] says, "[XHTML is ]a reformulation of HTML 4 as an
XML 1.0 application"

Read aloud and repeat:

"[XHTML is] a reformulation of HTML 4 as an XML 1.0 application"

Louise

dorayme

boclair said:
Read aloud and repeat:

"[XHTML is] a reformulation of HTML 4 as an XML 1.0 application"

At school, when we would go up and have our Latin exercises
assessed, if a student got something wrong, it was very often
cause for the teacher to sing song "The object is in the
accusative case..." and he expected and got the whole class to
join in... This was in the days before Dennis Potter and his BBC
TV series...

Geoff Berrow

If i had to pick one to go with, i'd chose XHTML (Transitional,
personally, at this time...)

I'd rather be working with the better technology and have to deal with
'the browser issue' than push HTML 4.01 to the bitter end of its
usefulness/abilities.

Better technology? XHTML transitional?

I think you are way off track here.