[Servlet Error]- not a servlet class

Discussion in 'Java' started by Jitender, Oct 17, 2007.

  1. Jitender

    Jitender Guest

    I have deployed a web-application on WebSphere (WAS) 6.0, which uses
    struts.
    Upon start-up i see the following error message in the log:

    [Servlet Error]-[javax.servlet.UnavailableException: Servlet
    [com.company.MyServlet]: not a servlet class

    The application works perfectly fine on Tomcat.

    Additional Info::

    My Wesbphere settings are to use Class Loading for web application as:
    Parent Last, Application(not module). I have left the Server class
    found on google, the server crashes).

    Any help is greatly appreciated. I read somewhere j2ee.jar and
    struts.jar have a conflict, but i do not know if this is true, or how
    to resolve it. My web.xml is very simple with a simple servet
    configured to extend from ActionServet.
    Jitender, Oct 17, 2007

  2. Jitender

    Daniel Pitts Guest

    Re: - not a servlet class

    On Oct 16, 10:55 pm, Jitender <> wrote:
    > I have deployed a web-application on WebSphere (WAS) 6.0, which uses
    > struts.
    > Upon start-up i see the following error message in the log:
    >
    > [Servlet Error]-[javax.servlet.UnavailableException: Servlet
    > [com.company.MyServlet]: not a servlet class
    >
    > The application works perfectly fine on Tomcat.
    >
    > Additional Info::
    >
    > My Wesbphere settings are to use Class Loading for web application as:
    > Parent Last, Application(not module). I have left the Server class
    > found on google, the server crashes).
    >
    > Any help is greatly appreciated. I read somewhere j2ee.jar and
    > struts.jar have a conflict, but i do not know if this is true, or how
    > to resolve it. My web.xml is very simple with a simple servet
    > configured to extend from ActionServet.

    What does the declaration for MyServlet look like?
    Daniel Pitts, Oct 17, 2007

  3. Jitender

    Lew Guest

    Jitender wrote:
    > I have deployed a web-application on WebSphere (WAS) 6.0, which uses
    > struts [sic].
    > Upon start-up i see the following error message in the log:
    >
    > [Servlet Error]-[javax.servlet.UnavailableException: Servlet
    > [com.company.MyServlet]: not a servlet class
    >
    > The application works perfectly fine on Tomcat.
    >

    > Additional Info::
    >
    > My Wesbphere [sic] settings are to use Class Loading for web application as:
    > Parent Last, Application(not module). I have left the Server class
    > found on google [sic] , the server crashes).
    >
    > Any help is greatly appreciated. I read somewhere j2ee.jar and
    > struts.jar have a conflict, but i [sic] do not know if this is true, or how
    > to resolve it. My web.xml is very simple with a simple servet
    > configured to extend from ActionServet [sic].

    What is the line from your "servlet" class that declares the class, the one
    similar to "public class Foo extends ..."?

    Are you deploying the same WAR (in other words, with no intervening build) to
    both Tomcat and WS?

    Why are you using "Parent Last" class loading?

    --
    Lew
    Lew, Oct 17, 2007