Servlet Form-based Authentication From a Client Application

Discussion in 'Java' started by Faisal, Mar 16, 2006.

  1. Faisal

    Faisal Guest

    Hi,
    I have a java web-application on which i have applied container managed
    form-based authentication, now there is an integration requirement for
    which i have to integrate my application with another web-application
    that is developed in Asp.Net the integration is such that both the
    web-application(the .net and java) would have common users and the
    application-users will only log-on to the .net application, in that
    application there will be a link which will re-direct the user to the
    java-based web-application
    what i require to do is to handle the servlet-authentication issues
    from the .net application servers this is the strategy that i have
    choosen
    when the user will click on a link (or button or any other http input
    control) which is supposed to render content from the java - web
    application there will be a server post-back on the IIS based .net
    application it will call a HttpWebRequest [POST-Method] to the
    java-based web-application on the following URL
    [http://<my-server>/<my-java-web application/j_security_check] with
    Post Data
    j_username=<user-name>&j_password=<password> now in response to this
    method i assume the java-web-server would on authenticating the user
    would return a j_sessionid to the .net web-server and then the .net
    web-server would redirect the client with appending the j_sessionid as
    a querystring parameter
    What i want to ask are the following things

    1) Is my strategy sensible ???? or is there a better more simpler way
    to do that
    2) I dont know what type of response i will get from the java-server on
    j_security_check request i will be really obliged if someone can tell
    me more about it
    3) Presently when i make my webrequest i get a very bizare error from
    tomcat

    HTTP Status 408 - The time allowed for the login process has been
    exceeded. If you wish to continue you must either click back twice and
    re-click the link you requested or close and re-open your browser

    this is what i am doing
    HttpMethod:pOST
    ContentType:application/x-www-form-urlencoded
    and setting the request data as
    j_username=<username>&j_password=<userpassword>

    can any body tell me why this error comes

    Thanks and Regards to all

    Faisal, Mar 16, 2006