Session in web farm

Danny Ni

Hi,

Is it possible to use session in web farm? Some say just use cookies because
session does not work in web farm. But others say something about persist
into SQL Sever, if this is true please tell me more about this approach.

TIA

AlanM

I'm not sure what you mean by persist into SQL.

but you can simply store the vales in sql, and they will persist

Bob Barrows [MVP]

Danny said:
Hi,

Is it possible to use session in web farm?

No. Sessions will not persist if the server serving the pages changes.
Some say just use cookies
because session does not work in web farm.

They have a point. The only drawback is if the client has cookies turned
off, or has a firewall or anti-spyware software blocking your cookies.
But others say something
about persist into SQL Sever, if this is true please tell me more
about this approach.
Not much to say. You will need to have a key to identify each user. Then use
that key to store session -related information in a database (it does not
have to be sql server - any database will do). See
http://www.aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2491

Bob Barrows