Session lost. Test and Live projects.

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Alex, Sep 11, 2006.

  1. Alex

    Alex Guest

    Hello. Maybe someone can help me.
    My development computer has: WindowsXP SP2 and MSSQL Server 2000 and
    IIS 5.0(or 5.1)
    Our webserver has: Windows2003 SP1 and MSSQL Server 2005 and IIS 6.0
    We are storing sessions in MSSQL Server 2005

    My description.
    I dont have any problem, the problem is at webserver.
    I have some project, that i upload to webserver when i updated some
    code. Everything fine for now.
    Last time i made a lot of changes in code, so i wanted to put in
    web-folder copy of real project. This copy will be in another folder,
    and for this "copy-project" i created separate database. Its just copy
    of real project, i just changed database name in web.config
    Of course these 2 projects have same name for their dll in bin folder.
    For example myproject.dll.
    So, these two dll were started in one time. I am storing some
    serialized objects in Session. And user's entered data are stored in
    these objects.

    The symptoms are:
    Entered data (by user) not shows.
    For example. I have the page with frames. User can go through pages
    like Windows's tabs. When user load this one "tab", controls must be
    filled with user's data, which he entered earlier. But all fields are
    empty.
    BUT! I began to have same problem with live project when i started test
    project.
    I think there is the problem with two sessions. i think they are
    intersect each other, and this is the cause why i am receving no data
    from Session object.

    How to solve this problem ? I dont want to loose any session variable
    in both projects.
    and also i want to start them at one webserber, just in separate
    folders and separate databases.

    Alex, Sep 11, 2006

  2. Alex,

    The first thing I'd do is test if your theory is correct. Have you tried
    removing the test project to see if the live website functions correctly
    again?

    Sincerely,

    --
    S. Justin Gengo
    Web Developer / Programmer

    Free code library:
    http://www.aboutfortunate.com

    "Out of chaos comes order."
    Nietzsche

    S. Justin Gengo, Sep 11, 2006

  3. Alex

    Alex Guest

    I even dont know what to think.
    I started test project at last friday.
    I saw that session veriables were not stored (i also tried at machine
    where i never login to test project). I saw problems at both machines.
    I stopped test application. After some period of minutes (possibly
    session timeout 40min) everything worked fine on both computers.
    I tried at home at saturday. I had this problem just once.
    I tried now. I had this problem just once also.
    So, first time i entered data then go and back from another page, the
    data were lost.
    I close browser, open it, log-in again. This time data wasn't lost.

    But when i had test app running, i lost my data in 90% of cases.

    Why i have this problem now at my first today log-in ? Test app was
    stopped at friday.
    I dont think there is the problem with cookies. I erased all cookies
    after each occuring of problem. I changed cookiename at test app at
    friday, erase my cookies after that, and still got same problem.

    And what to do ?

    Alex, Sep 11, 2006
  4. Alex

    Alex Guest

    I just tried to launch test and live app in one time at my machine.
    No problem. No data were lost. No session variables went from one
    project to another.

    Alex, Sep 11, 2006