Session not carrying over

jamezw

I have a web app that uses StateServer to track session. It is
cookieless (e.g. session ID in the URL.) We have run into a problem
that is like such: we have a page that has multiple frames on it. All
the frames point to relative pages except one which points to a
specific IP, but it is an IP that runs the same web application. The
frame src looks something like this:
src="http://{theip}/(sessionid)/Page.aspx". In essence, this should be
the same as this: src="http://{thedomainname}/(sessionid)/Page.aspx".
But, for some reason, this page cannot read the session variables this
way. If we switch to SQLServer to manage state then this becomes a
non-issue. Does anyone know why doing something like this with
StateServer is not possible? Does StateServer do some kind of domain
name check? Can this be turned off?

Bruce Barker

to keep session data seperate by application, a key is added to the session
id.

- the sqlserver state manager uses the iis vdir root path as the key
- the outof proc stateserver uses the url path as the key.

to fix the outof proc state manger, you could use url rewriting, though i'd
use the sqlsever manager, as it supports failover, and doesn't have memory
limits.

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)