Session problem with new IE browser window from window.open()

Discussion in 'Javascript' started by raj, Apr 7, 2004.

  1. raj

    raj Guest

    Hello,
    I am running into this strange session invalid issue when I open a new
    browser window using javascript's window.open(). I have a portlet
    running on Jetspeed portal. I have two different links on this portal
    which point to two different applications running on two "different"
    ports on an application server. On click of each link I invoke
    window.open() with the URL for that link and it invokes a child
    browser with that URL. Now, when I click both the links from the
    parent window, I am able to open 2 different browser windows but when
    I try to access the applications in these windows, it throws me a
    SessionTimeOut exception invalidating the session.

    My idea was to make it available to the user so that the user can (if
    wanted) open two links in two differnt browsers and work
    simultaneously. I was told that when window.open() is used, it just
    opens a IE window but not a IE process and thus carries the same
    session. I want it to be new session whenever the user clicks those
    links as they are different applications and should be dealt
    differently. Is there a work around for this?

    Are there any settings in IE that I can force to create a new IE
    process when the link is clicked or is there any thing that I can do
    in Javascript to make this work. I spend almost a whole day
    researching on this but in vain. Please let me know if you guys have
    any ideas.

    TIA,
    Gnan

    raj, Apr 7, 2004