Session resurrection

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by nn, Oct 18, 2004.

  1. nn

    nn Guest

    Hello

    I have ASP.Net application configured to use cookies for session.
    For some reasons I can't move to cookieless model.
    I need access to session created in this application without cookie.
    I tried pass session id through url (like in cookieless mode). But this
    dosen't work. I know that this works in Java.while application is
    configured in cookie mode.

    How to do this in ASP.Net? How to access application session without
    cookie, when we have only session id and application is configured in
    cookie mode?

    ps. I have one solution based on redirects and cookie creation based on
    session id passed in query string. But this is a bit complicated :-|.
    --

    :: Ryszard Krakowiak ::

    nn, Oct 18, 2004

  2. nn

    Marina Guest

    If you started out cookiless - how do you know the sessionid? Are you going
    in debugging on the server?

    In any case, when you change the session state type, you are modifying
    web.config, which means that the application is restarted and all current
    sessions are dropped (which is fine, since you are changing how they are
    processed anyway).

    And why is it that you have this need to convert an application to start
    accessing sessions without cookies in the middle all the time? Configure it
    the way you want it, and then leave it alone.

    Marina, Oct 18, 2004

  3. nn

    nn Guest

    Marina wrote:

    > If you started out cookiless - how do you know the sessionid? Are you going
    > in debugging on the server?

    I'am starting in cookie mode and I'd like access session through session
    id without cookies.

    > In any case, when you change the session state type, you are modifying
    > web.config, which means that the application is restarted and all current
    > sessions are dropped (which is fine, since you are changing how they are
    > processed anyway).
    >
    > And why is it that you have this need to convert an application to start
    > accessing sessions without cookies in the middle all the time? Configure it
    > the way you want it, and then leave it alone.

    My application is working in hosted IE control. Sometimes IE control
    looses cookies (When I open new window from hosted IE control, sometimes
    new window doesn't have session id in cookie).

    I have web application written in java and in this environment I can
    pass session id in java style to java web application configured in
    cookie mode and I have access to correct session object. I'd like to do
    the same in ASP.Net, but when I pass correct session id in ASP.Net style
    to ASP.Net application I have access to NEW session object with
    different session id.

    nn, Oct 18, 2004
  4. nn

    Marina Guest

    But in this case, your asp.net app is either configured to use cookieless
    sessions - or not. It's not like it can use regular session in the first
    window, and then somehow use the cookieless version when the new window is
    opened - it's either one or the other.

    Marina, Oct 18, 2004