session state and updating DLL

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by brian, Jun 7, 2004.

  1. brian

    brian Guest

    I am using Visual Studion.NET 2002 Pro and 1.0 of the
    framework.

    I have an intranet site that stores users login name and
    password in a SQL database. When the user logs in there
    username is stored in session state variables to
    dertermine if they have access to pages.

    I have 7 different programs on our intranet that requires
    a login. This whole project is 1 big dll. Everytime I
    make a change I compile the project and update the bin
    directory. Then the session state is erased from memory
    and all the users need to log in again. I have 50 users.

    Is there a way to prevent users from needing to log in
    again. Would it help to break out the code for each
    program into it's own DLL?

    Or does any update to the bin directory cause session
    info to be erased?

    Thanks
    brian, Jun 7, 2004

  2. "brian" <> wrote in message
    > I am using Visual Studion.NET 2002 Pro and 1.0 of the
    > framework.
    >
    > I have an intranet site that stores users login name and
    > password in a SQL database. When the user logs in there
    > username is stored in session state variables to
    > dertermine if they have access to pages.
    >
    > I have 7 different programs on our intranet that requires
    > a login. This whole project is 1 big dll. Everytime I
    > make a change I compile the project and update the bin
    > directory. Then the session state is erased from memory
    > and all the users need to log in again. I have 50 users.
    >
    > Is there a way to prevent users from needing to log in
    > again. Would it help to break out the code for each
    > program into it's own DLL?
    >
    > Or does any update to the bin directory cause session
    > info to be erased?

    Any update to the bin directory will cause an application restart, which
    will wipe Session state if it's stored in-process.

    Had you considered using Forms Authentication? It would allow you to keep
    the users information in a cookie.
    --
    John Saunders
    johnwsaundersiii at hotmail