session state and updating DLL

brian

I am using Visual Studion.NET 2002 Pro and 1.0 of the
framework.

I have an intranet site that stores users login name and
password in a SQL database. When the user logs in there
username is stored in session state variables to
dertermine if they have access to pages.

I have 7 different programs on our intranet that requires
a login. This whole project is 1 big dll. Everytime I
make a change I compile the project and update the bin
directory. Then the session state is erased from memory
and all the users need to log in again. I have 50 users.

Is there a way to prevent users from needing to log in
again. Would it help to break out the code for each
program into it's own DLL?

Or does any update to the bin directory cause session
info to be erased?

Thanks

John Saunders

brian said:
I am using Visual Studion.NET 2002 Pro and 1.0 of the
framework.

I have an intranet site that stores users login name and
password in a SQL database. When the user logs in there
username is stored in session state variables to
dertermine if they have access to pages.

I have 7 different programs on our intranet that requires
a login. This whole project is 1 big dll. Everytime I
make a change I compile the project and update the bin
directory. Then the session state is erased from memory
and all the users need to log in again. I have 50 users.

Is there a way to prevent users from needing to log in
again. Would it help to break out the code for each
program into it's own DLL?

Or does any update to the bin directory cause session
info to be erased?

Any update to the bin directory will cause an application restart, which
will wipe Session state if it's stored in-process.

Had you considered using Forms Authentication? It would allow you to keep
the users information in a cookie.