session state between http and https

Guest

I have a site where I would like a page to be accessed via SSL (payment.apx)
others via regular http. However it doesn't seem that session state is passed
between the two protocols.

Is there a "right" method for ensuring that this happens?
Has anyone run into any Best Practices regarding this?

What is really confusing to me is that our test servers handle the problem
perfectly where as our production server is losing the session state when we
go into https mode.

Help!!

Thanks