Session State doesn't persist after postback (code: C#)

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by =?Utf-8?B?QWlkYXMgUGFzaWxpcw==?=, Sep 15, 2005.

  1. I'm saving some values to the Session state and get some strange results.

    To be short I'll write example code and standart behavior:

    Code Example:
    /////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

    private void WriteToSessionButton_Click(object sender, , System.EventArgs e)
    {
    Session["something"] = "My value";
    }
    private void CheckSessionButton_Click(object sender, , System.EventArgs e)
    {
    if(Session["something"] != null)
    {
    SessionVariable_Label.Text = Session["something"].ToString();
    }
    else
    {
    SessionVariable_Label.Text = "N/A";
    }
    SessionId_Label.Text = Session.SessionID;
    }

    /////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
    TYPICAL (CORRECT) BEHAVIOUR:

    When I run my ASP.NET procejt from localhost
    (http://localhost/MySessionProject/Default.aspx) after clreating required
    Session variable by clicking the WriteToSessionButton button, I check Session
    variables by clicking CheckSessionButton button.
    The values are correct and after each Post_Back, no matter how many times I
    click the buttons everything works just like it's suppost to be. I get the
    Session["something"] value and same SessionId after each Post_Back.

    THE PROBLEM:

    However, when I open my project substituting "localhost" with My computer
    name like this http://MyComputerName/MySessionProject/Default.aspx, after
    creating Session variable and clicking CheckSessionButton button I get empty
    variable (SessionVariable_Label.Text = "N/A") and the Session.SessionId value
    is different after each Post_Back.

    This behaviour is not random. It happens every time.

    localhost - Session variable and SessionId remains;
    MyComputerName - Session variable dissapears, Session.SessionId changes
    after each Post_Back.

    ABOUT SESSION STATE:
    I tried InProc and StateServer configurations.

    OTHER INFO:
    And it's not page or project specific. It happens with any page or project.

    It's also not machine (computer) specific as I tried it other development
    computer in our network and got the same results.

    I have Intel Pentium 2.8 DualCore CPU on both developement machines.

    Network managed by ActiveDirectory.

    =?Utf-8?B?QWlkYXMgUGFzaWxpcw==?=, Sep 15, 2005

  2. =?Utf-8?B?QWlkYXMgUGFzaWxpcw==?=

    Guest

    i had same problem with session not persisting
    after tireless research, i gave up on windows2003 troubleshooting, and
    just switch to sql server session
    ( i think MSDE works too)

    , Sep 15, 2005

  3. Thank you for your reply, but I forgot to mention that I'm using Windows XP
    Professional. And I had never experienced such problems before with windows
    XP and Windows 2000.

    I guess maybe it has something to do with DualCore processors. However at my
    previous job we had App server with 4 cpus and there were no problems with
    Session state.

    Any way, thank you one more time.

    If any one else has some other sugestions or thoughts, you're welcome to
    post :)

    =?Utf-8?B?QWlkYXMgUGFzaWxpcw==?=, Sep 15, 2005
  4. hi,

    I just test your sample code, just for beeing curious.
    I did not face that problem, iot works fine

    =?Utf-8?B?c2VyZ2UgY2FsZGVyYXJh?=, Sep 15, 2005
  5. =?Utf-8?B?QWlkYXMgUGFzaWxpcw==?=

    Bruce Barker Guest

    this is expected behavior with cookie based sessions. the session id is
    store in a cookie, and sent by the browser on each request or post. session
    cookies are tied to the domain and site.

    to the browser

    http://myservername/mysite
    http://localhost//mysite
    http://myipaddress/mysite

    are three different servers and cookies and thus sessions are not shared
    between them. you can switch to cookieless sessions to get around this (the
    session id is added to the url, so changing servername has no effect).

    -- bruce (sqlwork.com)

    Bruce Barker, Sep 15, 2005