Session State problems for multiple users

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by mcbobin, Jan 2, 2007.

  1. mcbobin

    mcbobin Guest

    Hi,

    Hopefully somebody can help me...

    The development team I work in has created a large application that has

    started displaying some nasty bugs which we think are being caused by
    the session state.

    When a single user logs in, their location ID is assigned to the
    session state. This location ID persists until the browser session is
    closed and no bugs appear.

    However, when another user logs in, using a different location ID, the
    original user's session state changes to show the new user's location
    ID!

    Sometimes, the location ID held within the session state 'swaps'
    between users e.g. I log on as location 124 and a colleague logs on as
    location 230 - suddenly, my location is 230 and my colleague's is 124!

    We have checked to ensure that the session ID persists, it's just the
    values of the session state that are changed.

    Any help will be gratefully received :)

    Thanks,

    Rob

    mcbobin, Jan 2, 2007

  2. mcbobin

    Mark Rae Guest

    "mcbobin" <> wrote in message

    > When a single user logs in, their location ID is assigned to the
    > session state. This location ID persists until the browser session is
    > closed and no bugs appear.

    It's really important to understand that simply closing the browser DOES NOT
    tear down the session... IIS and, therefore, ASP.NET, has no knowledge
    whatever of what is happening on the browser. It responds to an HttpRequest
    and then provides an HttpResponse - it simply can't know what happens next,
    until / unless it receives another HttpRequest...

    Having said that, sessions should not under normal circumstances overlap...

    How are you actually writing the session variables into the Session
    object...?

    Mark Rae, Jan 2, 2007

  3. mcbobin

    mcbobin Guest

    Hi Kevin,

    Many thanks for your swift response...

    It's funny you should mention 'static variables' as a colleague of mine
    recently blurted out the words "bloody static variables!"...

    Yes, it appears that a member of the team has filled our base pages
    with static variables and the removal of them has fixed our problem.

    Thanks again,

    Rob

    mcbobin, Jan 2, 2007