Session.Timeout and Frames problem

Guest

I'm about to go nuts. I've got a VB.NET web app , utilizing frames(my 1st
mistake). One of the frames is hidden and does a behind the scenes refresh,
to keep the session alive. This works great with IIS 5.0, but when I port it
to IIS 6.0. The refresh does not reset the session. The only thing that
will work on the IIS 6.0 server, is to refresh the ENTIRE frameset. This is
not an option. Is there anything I can do to the code, or settings on IIS
6.0 to allow this to work? ps: I've already tried the 5.0 setting in 6.0.
TIA Doug

Chris Botha

I have three apps running on different 2003 servers with IIS 6 using this
technique without a problem, except the Java script on the hidden page does
a "Form1.submit()" every 5 minutes instead of refresh.
Something to look at as well may be the session timeout on the server.
Also browsers prior to IE 5.5 (some servicepack) could have different
sessions for each frame, so test from the same browser.
A rarity (but we had it at a customer) is if you have a shortcut and IE
opens to a "file://" URL somewhere on disk, like a Web page on a shared
network folder, rather than "http://", and there is a hyperlink on the disk
page to the Web app, then the frames had this problem (can you believe it,
but it was or maybe still is a known bug).

Guest

I've got 3 frames withing the frameset, I can issue a refresh to each of
them, but unless I do a refresh on the frameset itself, boom goes the
session. I just doesn't make any sense, I'll give the submit a whirl tho.
thanks!

Guest

That didn't work. I can be working in the "main subject frame" manually
posting and requesting data, and it will still timeout

Chris Botha

Do you have a anti-virus program on the server? If so, disable it and test
again.

Guest

Well, I switched from InProc to SQLSever mode, and that fixed the problem.
Now I have a new one. How to do clean up , if the user closes the browser.

I attached a delete trigger to the asptempstatesession table, but, that
seems to fire everytime SQLServer checks for expired sessions.

Do you have any other suggestions, how to do cleanup, if the user closes the
browser????

TIA Doug

Bruce Barker

normally a scheduled job is created sqlagent (the install should of done
this) to run the cleanup. the server is not notified when the browser
closes, so there is no notification for cleanup. the session id is stored in
a session cookie, so the browser should delete the cookie when it closes.

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)