Session timeout & method="post"

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by Billy Boone, Jul 26, 2004.

  1. Billy Boone

    Billy Boone Guest

    I have a current web application that utilizes a login to authenticate
    users
    into the application. Once I authenticate them, I store away the user's
    name in a Session variable. I then utilize this check to confirm the
    session has not timed out (isLogon.asp - which I include on every page).

    if Session("user") = "" then
    call setURL()

    Response.Redirect "login.asp"
    end if

    function setURL()
    Session("TargetPage") = Request.ServerVariables("PATH_INFO")
    Session("QueryString") = Request.ServerVariables("QUERY_STRING")
    end function

    I then utilize this function to upon login return the user back to where
    they left:

    function getURL()
    dim url

    if Session("TargetPage") <> "" then
    url = Session("TargetPage")

    if Session("QueryString") <> "" then
    url = url & "?" & Session("QueryString")
    end if
    end if

    getURL = url
    end function

    This all assuming using the "get" method on forms - which was fine given
    the
    limited data being collected on the form.

    A new requirements has been given that will require lots of data (well
    over
    the QueryString limits). So seems I need to go to the "post" method on
    my
    forms. However, with this method how do I ensure I return the user to
    the
    appropriate location upon a session timeout??

    Any pointers would be most appreciated.

    BBB

    Billy Boone, Jul 26, 2004