Session Timeout, not working

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Scott, Feb 19, 2008.

  1. Scott

    Scott Guest

    I have set the session timeout something greater then 20 minutes in
    the web.config(120 minutes for testing) after 20 minutes to 30 minutes
    click a button and am redirected back to the login. My Session is
    reporting 120 minutes I know this becuase I display on a debug page.
    below are the 2 areas in the web.config that I set anybody tell me
    whats wrong or what is missing.

    <sessionState mode="InProc" regenerateExpiredSessionId="false"
    timeout="120">
    </sessionState>

    <forms name=".GSNAUTH" loginUrl="Login.aspx" path="/"
    protection="Encryption" timeout="120" slidingExpiration="true"/>

    When previeing on the page I see the top 1 becuase I have been able
    to adjust it down to 60 minutes or 35 minutes whatever.

    When I display on the debug page I show
    lblSessionTimeout.text = Session.Timeout;

    NOt sure what I am missing.

    Scott, Feb 19, 2008

  2. "Scott" <> wrote in message
    > I have set the session timeout something greater then 20 minutes in
    > the web.config(120 minutes for testing) after 20 minutes to 30 minutes
    > click a button and am redirected back to the login. My Session is
    > reporting 120 minutes I know this becuase I display on a debug page.
    > below are the 2 areas in the web.config that I set anybody tell me
    > whats wrong or what is missing.
    >
    > <sessionState mode="InProc" regenerateExpiredSessionId="false"
    > timeout="120">
    > </sessionState>
    >
    > <forms name=".GSNAUTH" loginUrl="Login.aspx" path="/"
    > protection="Encryption" timeout="120" slidingExpiration="true"/>
    >
    > When previeing on the page I see the top 1 becuase I have been able
    > to adjust it down to 60 minutes or 35 minutes whatever.
    >
    > When I display on the debug page I show
    > lblSessionTimeout.text = Session.Timeout;
    >
    > NOt sure what I am missing.

    Unless you have other clients creating activity on the site your Application
    Pool is probably timing out. When a pool has seen absolutely no activity
    whatsoever it can shutdown. Check the settings on the pool to which your
    application belongs.

    --
    Anthony Jones - MVP ASP/ASP.NET

    Anthony Jones, Feb 19, 2008

  3. Session expiration and forms authentication timeouts are two separate and
    distinct things. Being redirected to a login page is a forms authentication
    timeout issue, unless somehow you are also using session to do this.
    Your ASP.NET application can recycle for any number of reasons, and when it
    does, all inProc Sessions go bye-bye.
    -- Peter
    Site: http://www.eggheadcafe.com
    UnBlog: htp://petesbloggerama.blogspot.com
    Short Urls & more: http://ittyurl.net

    Peter Bromberg [C# MVP], Feb 20, 2008