Session Timeout when trying to read database

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by HolaGoogle, Oct 8, 2003.

  1. HolaGoogle

    HolaGoogle Guest

    hi all,
    can you please tell me what i should do to avoid session timeout when
    displaying my database info in my asp form
    (DisplayUserDatabase.asp)???
    ** actualy it does load and display the database randomly....otherwise
    it's always runs into a session time out....
    **Also when i save new account info (You'll notice that i've been
    asked to put a save button near each record...so, it's not one global
    save it's by record), i'd like to be able to save only the changed
    record and nothing else. The way i do it now works, but i've to reload
    to whole page and get the same timeout error!!! is there anyway to
    change this??? After saving my DB info i redirect the user to the
    former form (DisplayUserDatabase.asp). Maybe it's because i'm using 2
    forms: one for displaying DB info(DisplayUserDatabase.asp) and another
    one for saving new info(SaveUserAccount.asp)...but otherwise i don't
    see how i can make this work without my 2 forms???

    Heres' my code:

    <form Method="Post" name="DisplayUserDatabase">

    <%
    Do While Not objDisplayRS.EOF
    Response.Write "<form name=""SaveUserAccount"" method=""Post"">"
    '----Retreive the information and displays it in a table
    Response.Write("<TR VALIGN=""TOP"">")
    Response.Write ("<TD><input type = ""text"" name = ""IDUser""
    size=""3""value = """ & objDisplayRS("ID") & """>")
    Response.Write(" <TD><input type=""text"" name=""NewName""
    size=""20""value=""" &objDisplayRS("UserName") &""">")
    Response.Write(" <TD><input type=""text"" name=""NewPswd""
    size=""20""value=""" &objDisplayRS("Pswd") &""">")
    Response.Write("<BR></TD>")

    'Action to perform update or delete account

    Response.Write(" <TD><input type=""submit""value="" Save""
    onClick= ""this.form.action='
    SaveUserAccount.asp?ActionToDo=UpdateAccount'; "">")
    Response.Write(" <TD><input type=""submit""value="" Delete""
    onClick= ""this.form.action='
    SaveUserAccount.asp?ActionToDo=DeleteAccount'; "">")
    Response.Write("</TR>")

    Response.Write "</form>"
    objDisplayRS.MoveNext
    Loop

    Response.Write "</TABLE>" & vbCrLf
    End If

    ' Close DB objects and free variables
    objDisplayRS.Close
    Set objDisplayRS = Nothing

    and in my updateUserAccount.asp, after the update call i just redirect
    the user to the main form like this:

    Response.Redirect "DisplayUserDatabase.asp"

    Thanks Guys!
    HolaGoogle, Oct 8, 2003

  2. HolaGoogle

    Ray at Guest

    Could you find a different way to explain your problem(s)? I don't see how
    your code below relates to sessions timing out.

    Ray at work

    Ray at, Oct 8, 2003

  3. HolaGoogle

    McKirahan Guest

    > hi all,
    > can you please tell me what i should do to avoid session timeout when
    > displaying my database info in my asp form
    > (DisplayUserDatabase.asp)???
    > ** actualy it does load and display the database randomly....otherwise
    > it's always runs into a session time out....
    > **Also when i save new account info (You'll notice that i've been
    > asked to put a save button near each record...so, it's not one global
    > save it's by record), i'd like to be able to save only the changed
    > record and nothing else. The way i do it now works, but i've to reload
    > to whole page and get the same timeout error!!! is there anyway to
    > change this??? After saving my DB info i redirect the user to the
    > former form (DisplayUserDatabase.asp). Maybe it's because i'm using 2
    > forms: one for displaying DB info(DisplayUserDatabase.asp) and another
    > one for saving new info(SaveUserAccount.asp)...but otherwise i don't
    > see how i can make this work without my 2 forms???
    >
    > Heres' my code:
    >
    > <form Method="Post" name="DisplayUserDatabase">
    >
    > <%
    > Do While Not objDisplayRS.EOF
    > Response.Write "<form name=""SaveUserAccount"" method=""Post"">"
    > '----Retreive the information and displays it in a table
    > Response.Write("<TR VALIGN=""TOP"">")
    > Response.Write ("<TD><input type = ""text"" name = ""IDUser""
    > size=""3""value = """ & objDisplayRS("ID") & """>")
    > Response.Write(" <TD><input type=""text"" name=""NewName""
    > size=""20""value=""" &objDisplayRS("UserName") &""">")
    > Response.Write(" <TD><input type=""text"" name=""NewPswd""
    > size=""20""value=""" &objDisplayRS("Pswd") &""">")
    > Response.Write("<BR></TD>")
    >
    > 'Action to perform update or delete account
    >
    > Response.Write(" <TD><input type=""submit""value="" Save""
    > onClick= ""this.form.action='
    > SaveUserAccount.asp?ActionToDo=UpdateAccount'; "">")
    > Response.Write(" <TD><input type=""submit""value="" Delete""
    > onClick= ""this.form.action='
    > SaveUserAccount.asp?ActionToDo=DeleteAccount'; "">")
    > Response.Write("</TR>")
    >
    > Response.Write "</form>"
    > objDisplayRS.MoveNext
    > Loop
    >
    > Response.Write "</TABLE>" & vbCrLf
    > End If
    >
    > ' Close DB objects and free variables
    > objDisplayRS.Close
    > Set objDisplayRS = Nothing
    >

    > and in my updateUserAccount.asp, after the update call i just redirect
    > the user to the main form like this:
    >
    > Response.Redirect "DisplayUserDatabase.asp"
    >

    > Thanks Guys!

    Sometimes processing takes more than the default 20 seconds; try :

    <% Server.ScriptTimeout = 3600 %>

    3600 seconds = 60 minutes
    McKirahan, Oct 9, 2003
  4. HolaGoogle

    Ray at Guest

    That is insane. Would anyone really sit there waiting for an hour for a
    page to finish loading? IE times out after five minutes, by default, for
    one thing.

    Ray at work

    Ray at, Oct 9, 2003
  5. HolaGoogle

    HolaGoogle Guest

    well it's not realy what i meant...sorry for that...just saw it...i
    was trying to set my session timeout to a different time. so sorry....
    So...my problem is this one: when i try to load my database, it takes
    forever and sometimes just times out coz' it's too long. This happens
    when i load display the database for the 1st time and all the time
    after a save. I do save one record at time but always redirect the
    user to the main page. That's why i'd like to be able to save the
    record that has been changed and load/display changes without
    reloading my whole database...
    I know it's my submit button and then the response.redirect but i
    don't know how to do this differently and keep my configuration as it
    is....

    Also, i read somewhere that acces is not designed for Internet use,
    although it
    can be used on the Internet via ODBC. However, it is not fast, and
    its'
    capacity for users is also highly limited. With a lot of records,
    performance is going to be slowed.

    Unfortunately i don't realy have a choice, i've to stick with it for a
    while!

    Any help will be realy appreciated....

    HolaGoogle, Oct 9, 2003
  6. HolaGoogle

    HolaGoogle Guest

    I agree with you Ray...i'll never put something like that for a script
    timeout! they'll kill me!!!!...is it because i,m using access with
    internet or what???

    HolaGoogle, Oct 9, 2003
  7. HolaGoogle

    McKirahan Guest

    > That is insane. Would anyone really sit there waiting for an hour for a
    > page to finish loading? IE times out after five minutes, by default, for
    > one thing.
    >
    > Ray at work
    >
    > "McKirahan" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > Sometimes processing takes more than the default 20 seconds; try :
    > >
    > > <% Server.ScriptTimeout = 3600 %>
    > >
    > > 3600 seconds = 60 minutes

    My client must be insane then.

    I use it in a database-driven, browser-based application that runs daily to
    process many thousands of records.

    The "page" is not for public consumption.

    BTW, the application doesn't take an hour but it does take more than ten
    minutes.

    P.S. 3600 seconds was just an example of how to use ScriptTimeout.
    McKirahan, Oct 9, 2003
  8. HolaGoogle

    Ray at Guest

    I guess it depends on the size of your recordset, the speed of your server,
    and lots of other things.

    But quite often, it's because of an endless loop somewhere.

    Ray at, Oct 9, 2003
  9. HolaGoogle

    HolaGoogle Guest

    Well...once again i do agree with you...but i did indeed checked all
    those things before i post my problem....lets say even if it does not
    time out then it takes realy long time to load and that, i don't realy
    understand??? i realy did check everything and still don't understand
    why a simple page will take all that time for simple action as
    "save"...

    HolaGoogle, Oct 9, 2003
  10. HolaGoogle

    Mark Schupp Guest

    Are you sure you don't have an infinite loop somewhere (missing rs.movenext
    for instance)?
    Can you show your code?

    --
    Mark Schupp
    Head of Development

    Mark Schupp, Oct 10, 2003
  11. HolaGoogle

    HolaGoogle Guest

    Hi Mark,
    well...i did post my code. but here's it again....thansk for your help...

    HolaGoogle, Oct 10, 2003
  12. HolaGoogle

    Mark Schupp Guest

    Try removing the <table> tags and just do a simple write of a single column
    in the loop (followed by response.flush). If that runs quickly then
    gradually build up the HTML code one step at a time to see where the delay
    is.

    Do While Not objDisplayRS.EOF
    Response.Write objDisplayRS("ID") & "<br>" & vbCrLf
    objDisplayRS.MoveNext
    Loop

    --
    Mark Schupp