Session variable VS HREF parameters...

+The_Taco+

I already use session variable in my project to set a session timeout when
the user doesn't do anything for 10 minutes.

When I call other pages, I often use parameters in HREF link.

I was wondering if it was better to pass parameter from page to page as
session variable instead of doing it in HREF link?

Thx for the hint !

Kevin Spencer

The first part of your message is very confusing to me, as Sessions time out
all by themselves. However, I can help you with your other question.
When I call other pages, I often use parameters in HREF link.

I was wondering if it was better to pass parameter from page to page as
session variable instead of doing it in HREF link?

You have a couple of issues here. When you pass data via URL, you are
exposing it to the user, which can be a security risk, so one consideration
is how sensitive the data is. If it's not sensitive, you're fine, as long as
you make sure that the user can't create a parameterized URL that would
cause some problem. One of the advantages of using QueryString parameters is
that the user can bookmark a dynamic page, as the bookmark will have the
parameters in it.

As for Sessions, they can be problematic as well, since they time out after
a certain interval of inactivity. As long as you make sure to handle this
eventuality, Session is fine.

--
HTH,
Kevin Spencer

Alvin Bruney [MVP]

I think he means that he is using session as a crewd way to timeout a user
by setting session.timeout = 10 and checking for it on each postback.