session variables and performance

Giles

I have an IIS6 ASP site that has up to 200 "logged in" users at a time.
About 30 session variables are set at each login, containing user
information like their name, preferences etc.

My question is, does having lots of session variables impact site
performance, or is this only a problem when there are millions of concurrent
users, like with Facebook? (i.e. I don't have to worry)
Thanks

Bob Barrows

Giles said:
I have an IIS6 ASP site that has up to 200 "logged in" users at a
time. About 30 session variables are set at each login, containing
user information like their name, preferences etc.

My question is, does having lots of session variables impact site
performance,

Of course. Each session consumes some memory ...
or is this only a problem when there are millions of
concurrent users, like with Facebook? (i.e. I don't have to worry)

Can't answer that question. We have no idea what type of data is being
stored (string, numbers, objects ...) or what kind of resources are
available on your web server.

Ar you having performance problems? is that why you asked the question?

Giles

My question is, does having lots of session variables impact site
Of course. Each session consumes some memory ...

Can't answer that question. We have no idea what type of data is being
stored (string, numbers, objects ...) or what kind of resources are
available on your web server.

Ar you having performance problems? is that why you asked the question?

Strings, average 10 characters. Server has 2GB of RAM, 2 x 2GHz
processors.No performance problems yet, but the site is up for redesign, and
I am wondering if I can increase the use of session variables, or if I
should use client side cookies to maintain state between pages. I guess I am
asking whether session variables use just RAM (which I can calculate by
multiplying), or if they are a significant drain on the processor also? i.e.
what is best practice?

Bob Barrows

Giles said:
Strings, average 10 characters. Server has 2GB of RAM, 2 x 2GHz
processors.No performance problems yet, but the site is up for
redesign, and I am wondering if I can increase the use of session
variables, or if I should use client side cookies to maintain state
between pages. I guess I am asking whether session variables use just
RAM (which I can calculate by multiplying), or if they are a
significant drain on the processor also? i.e. what is best practice?

All you can do is test. I've never seen any sort of "best practice" for
this.

Microsoft has a stress-testing tool that might prove useful to you. See:
http://mvolo.com/blogs/serverside/a...mance-and-scalability-test-tool-released.aspx