Session Variables Dropped at Random

Jason Kichline

I have an web application framework that uses sessions to
maintain a userID and some other variables. If a userID
is not present in the session collection, it redirects the
user to a login page, assuming their session expired.

However, this has been happening seemingly at random on
some of our implementations. The configuration is
basically the same... IIS 5.0, Win2k, IE6, etc. Also,
this happens even when a user goes from screen to screen
so it isn't a timeout issue.

Does anyone have some idea? Is it client-side? Server-
side? Is it due to some additional security features added
in updates to IE? I don't think we ever had this problem
in IE5.5, but I don't have a written history of that.

Any guidance would be appreciated!

Bob Barrows

Jason said:
I have an web application framework that uses sessions to
maintain a userID and some other variables. If a userID
is not present in the session collection, it redirects the
user to a login page, assuming their session expired.

However, this has been happening seemingly at random on
some of our implementations. The configuration is
basically the same... IIS 5.0, Win2k, IE6, etc. Also,
this happens even when a user goes from screen to screen
so it isn't a timeout issue.

Does anyone have some idea? Is it client-side? Server-
side? Is it due to some additional security features added
in updates to IE? I don't think we ever had this problem
in IE5.5, but I don't have a written history of that.

Any guidance would be appreciated!

Have you checked out the possibilities mentioned in this article:
http://www.aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2157
or this:
http://www.aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2346

HarryD

I've heard of this problem once in combination with an underscore in the
hostheadername of the website. Maybe you knew this already, maybe not. Seems
to be a bug in DNS.