Session variables getting lost frequently

Guest

Hi,
I am running a ASP.NET 1.1 site on Win Server 2003 with IIS 6.0. The website
has been running for about 1.5 years now. In the past, we used to have random
cases of session variables getting lost, but not frequently. However, since
the past 2 weeks, I am noticing an alarming increase of such session
variables lost cases. My application log shows about 20-30 such errors every
day. We have not changed anything at the server for a long time, so I am
confused as to why would the frequency of session lost jump up all of sudden?
Does it in any way indicate any hardware problems with the server?

I am using InProc mode for session and the IIS worker recycling is set to
default (i think it recycles every 1940 minutes) . Another thing I noticed
(through the IIS logs) is that in about 80-90% of the errors, the client PC
was a Win 98 machine running IE5.5. Does that make any difference?
Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Guest

To add on, I checked the IIS log and found that ALL of the session vars lost
errors involved a POST operation (no session lost errors with GET
operations). Again, is this something indicative of a problem?
Thanks

Juan T. Llibre

Hi, maxkumar.

Read this recent thread :

From: (e-mail address removed)
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet
Subject: Session Variables lost on Window 2003 Server
Date: 4 Oct 2006 11:32:46 -0700

It has interesting info for you.

You might want to try to manage your session state using either SQL Server
or the built-in State Server, however, before you nuke your system.

They are much more robust when it comes to persisting state.

InProc is prone to loss of session state.