Session variables in asp.net

Newbie

Hi All,
I would really appreciate any ideas / clues on this issue which I am facing.
I have a asp.net application, the problem is with maintaining session
variables while using authentication for different users. My users are
divided in groups , and have a username and pwd to login. Now if suppose
while browsing through different pages, the session expires unexpectedly,
then also I need the user to keep working with the app. This sometimes
results in erroneous behaviour, coz all info in session variables is lost.
And since the username and pwd info is kept in cookies. So to avoid this how
can I maintain session variables with cookies ? Can session variables be
created by default, along with login name and pwd and other details?
Thanks.

Teemu Keiski

Janaka

Hi Newbie,

There are a couple of different ways of storing sessions in ASP.NET. Sounds
like your using the InProcess flavour. You can also check out using
SqlServer to store your session information if your worried about the
redundancy of the session data. I haven't tried it but the web.config
allows you to set a cookieless="true|false" attribute in the <sessionState>
node. This works by appending the sessionid to the url querystring.

Also what kind of authentication are you using? Sounds like you should try
using ASP.NET's built in role-based authentication.