    can I maintain session variables with cookies ? Can session variables be
    created by default, along with login name and pwd and other details?
    Thanks.
    Newbie, May 19, 2004

  2. Newbie

    Teemu Keiski Guest

    Hi,

    you might want to find out why the session ends unexpectedly. If you use
    InProc session mode, here are some tips:
    http://www.asp.net/Forums/ShowPost.aspx?tabindex=1&PostID=232621 (e.g
    session ends because of app restart).

    If this won't help or you can't or won't solve it with this, you can switch
    the app to use out-of-process session mode when app restart won't bring the
    sessions down. More about them:
    http://www.asp.net/Forums/ShowPost.aspx?tabindex=1&PostID=7504

    --
    Teemu Keiski
    http://blogs.aspadvice.com/joteke

    "Newbie" <> wrote in message
    > Hi All,
    > I would really appreciate any ideas / clues on this issue which I am

    facing.
    > I have a asp.net application, the problem is with maintaining session
    > variables while using authentication for different users. My users are
    > divided in groups , and have a username and pwd to login. Now if suppose
    > while browsing through different pages, the session expires unexpectedly,
    > then also I need the user to keep working with the app. This sometimes
    > results in erroneous behaviour, coz all info in session variables is lost.
    > And since the username and pwd info is kept in cookies. So to avoid this

    how

    Teemu Keiski, May 19, 2004

  3. Newbie

    Janaka Guest

    Hi Newbie,

    There are a couple of different ways of storing sessions in ASP.NET. Sounds
    like your using the InProcess flavour. You can also check out using
    SqlServer to store your session information if your worried about the
    redundancy of the session data. I haven't tried it but the web.config
    allows you to set a cookieless="true|false" attribute in the <sessionState>
    node. This works by appending the sessionid to the url querystring.

    Also what kind of authentication are you using? Sounds like you should try
    using ASP.NET's built in role-based authentication.

    Janaka, May 20, 2004