    --
    max underwood
    systemax corporation

    max underwood, Nov 16, 2004

  2. This is determined by whether or not the client machine starts a new process
    for the browser. Example, if you see only one iexplore.exe process running
    but two browser windows, those two browser windows are sharing a single
    process on the machine.

    Ray at work

    Ray Costanzo [MVP], Nov 16, 2004

  3. max underwood wrote:
    > we are using internet explorer 6, reading information from w2k iis
    > asp. users are opening two browsers so they can keep two sessions
    > open with different information. It is rare, but sometimes the the
    > non-active browser will use the session varibles from the active one.
    > We have deleted local content and cookies with no affect. any
    > thoughts?

    Here's a thought: train your users to actually use two browsers (2 instances
    of IE is not two browsers) or wean them from this practice altogether.

    Internet Explorer has not had a user-configurable "browse in separate
    process" option since version 5.01, which means IE decides on-the-fly
    whether to share sessions between windows (not to mention frames). You do
    not get to choose when.

    That said, there will never be any confusion over which session is which if
    the user is toggling between IE and one of these:

    http://www.opera.com/

    --
    Dave Anderson

    Dave Anderson, Nov 17, 2004
  4. maurodev wrote:
    > we've also seen this, but thought maybe we were not correctly clearing
    > local content.
    >
    > Is there some way to configure the client PC to run each browser in
    > its' own process?

    Each browser already runs in its own process. Multiple instances of the same
    browser may or may not. If you want concurrent sessions, use two different
    browsers.

    --
    Dave Anderson

    Dave Anderson, Nov 17, 2004
  5. max underwood

    Patrice Guest

    As a side note, I wonder it couldn't be included in the application. If they
    need another account I would say this is because the application should have
    a mean to grant some additional rights on these items to the user primary
    account (instead of using another account)...

    Much like those mail applications where you can give rights to your mailbox
    to other users...

    Patrice

    --

    de news:...

    Patrice, Nov 17, 2004
  6. max underwood

    Mark Schupp Guest

    try adding -new to the command line in the shortcut they use to launch IE.
    as in:

    "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe" -new

    This used to start the browser in a new process, not sure if it works with
    IE6. This will likely not affect instances created by ctrl-N or by links
    with target="_blank".

    There might be a system-wide setting you could make somewhere but that would
    cause child windows created by a browser instance to not share the parent's
    session (some applications depend on that).

    --
    --Mark Schupp
    Head of Development

    Mark Schupp, Nov 17, 2004
  7. Ray, do you have any thoughts on how to make sure the user is in a separate
    process?

    max underwood, Nov 17, 2004
  8. Have you looked at the other responses with suggestions?

    Ray Costanzo [MVP], Nov 17, 2004