session variables with two browsers

max underwood

we are using internet explorer 6, reading information from w2k iis asp. users
are opening two browsers so they can keep two sessions open with different
information. It is rare, but sometimes the the non-active browser will use
the session varibles from the active one. We have deleted local content and
cookies with no affect. any thoughts? Thanks

Ray Costanzo [MVP]

This is determined by whether or not the client machine starts a new process
for the browser. Example, if you see only one iexplore.exe process running
but two browser windows, those two browser windows are sharing a single
process on the machine.

Ray at work

Dave Anderson

max said:
we are using internet explorer 6, reading information from w2k iis
asp. users are opening two browsers so they can keep two sessions
open with different information. It is rare, but sometimes the the
non-active browser will use the session varibles from the active one.
We have deleted local content and cookies with no affect. any
thoughts?

Here's a thought: train your users to actually use two browsers (2 instances
of IE is not two browsers) or wean them from this practice altogether.

Internet Explorer has not had a user-configurable "browse in separate
process" option since version 5.01, which means IE decides on-the-fly
whether to share sessions between windows (not to mention frames). You do
not get to choose when.

That said, there will never be any confusion over which session is which if
the user is toggling between IE and one of these:

http://www.opera.com/

--
Dave Anderson

Dave Anderson

maurodev said:
we've also seen this, but thought maybe we were not correctly clearing
local content.

Is there some way to configure the client PC to run each browser in
its' own process?

Each browser already runs in its own process. Multiple instances of the same
browser may or may not. If you want concurrent sessions, use two different
browsers.

--
Dave Anderson

Patrice

As a side note, I wonder it couldn't be included in the application. If they
need another account I would say this is because the application should have
a mean to grant some additional rights on these items to the user primary
account (instead of using another account)...

Much like those mail applications where you can give rights to your mailbox
to other users...

Patrice

Mark Schupp

try adding -new to the command line in the shortcut they use to launch IE.
as in:

"C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe" -new

This used to start the browser in a new process, not sure if it works with
IE6. This will likely not affect instances created by ctrl-N or by links
with target="_blank".

There might be a system-wide setting you could make somewhere but that would
cause child windows created by a browser instance to not share the parent's
session (some applications depend on that).

max underwood

Ray, do you have any thoughts on how to make sure the user is in a separate
process?

Ray Costanzo said:
This is determined by whether or not the client machine starts a new process
for the browser. Example, if you see only one iexplore.exe process running
but two browser windows, those two browser windows are sharing a single
process on the machine.

Ray at work

Ray Costanzo [MVP]

Have you looked at the other responses with suggestions?

Ray at work