session variables

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by Terry On Windigo, Nov 5, 2006.

  1. I think I have figured out my problem but I don't know how to solve it. We
    are going to start using a forums package and do not want our users to have
    to login to both our site, and then again to the forums package. The
    creator of the forums package provides what seems to be an easy workaround
    for this. Create two session variables, one for ID, the other for Password,
    and his program will take care of the rest.

    I have all of my forums package off the root of the drive that has my
    Inetpub directory, and within my IIS settings have a virtual directory
    pointing to the actual folder. I'm wondering that since my actual forums
    folder is outside my IIS, or if its a virtual directors my Session Variables
    are not being picked up. I also wonder this for the following reason. On
    all of my pages I have

    <% If Session("LoggedIn")= "Proceed" Then
    Else
    Server.Transfer "LoginReturning.asp"
    End If
    %>

    which keeps people from bookmarking and coming back in without logining back
    in to the site. However on the forums default.asp page this does not work,
    which leads me to believe once again it's a placement issue on my hardrive
    with my folders. If I am wrong in my assumptions, and I can do this, how
    would I pass the session variable to my default.asp page in my forums
    folder? Here is the page that does the checking of my login verification:

    <%
    Option Explicit
    Dim strConnect
    %>
    <!-- #Include File="Data.asp" -->
    <head>
    <title>New Page 1</title>
    </head>
    <%

    Dim objconn, objrs
    Dim lcsql, strName, strEmail, strPassword, Trial, Expiredate,
    strCookie2

    Set objconn = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")
    Set objrs=Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Recordset")
    objconn.open strConnect

    Trial = Date

    strEmail = request.form("Email")
    strPassword = request.form("password")

    lcsql="select * FROM results WHERE Email =
    '"+request.form("Email")+"' and password = '"+request.form("password")+"'"
    objrs.Open lcsql,objconn,0,1,1

    'No records returned because user not found

    If objrs.EOF then
    %>
    <Script Language=VBscript>
    ReturnItem = msgbox( "Either your name or password was
    incorrect, try again.", vbOKOnly, "INCORRECT ENTRY")
    </Script>
    <%
    Server.Transfer "LoginReturning.asp"

    else
    Session("LoggedIn") = "Proceed"

    'The next two session vars are for the forums page
    Session("USER") = request.form("Email")
    Session("PASSWORD") = request.form("password")
    'Check to see that Session variables were indeed assigned
    response.write Session("PASSWORD")
    response.write Session ("USER")
    Server.Transfer "Index.asp"
    end if
    objrs.Close
    objconn.Close
    %>

    Terry

    Terry On Windigo, Nov 5, 2006

  2. "Terry On Windigo" <> wrote in message
> [...]

    > strPassword = request.form("password")
    >
    > lcsql="select * FROM results WHERE Email =
    > '"+request.form("Email")+"' and password = '"+request.form("password")+"'"
    > objrs.Open lcsql,objconn,0,1,1
    >
    > 'No records returned because user not found
    >
    > If objrs.EOF then
    > %>
    > <Script Language=VBscript>
    > ReturnItem = msgbox( "Either your name or password

    was
    > incorrect, try again.", vbOKOnly, "INCORRECT ENTRY")
    > </Script>
    > <%
    > Server.Transfer "LoginReturning.asp"
    >
    > else
    > Session("LoggedIn") = "Proceed"
    >
    > 'The next two session vars are for the forums page
    > Session("USER") = request.form("Email")
    > Session("PASSWORD") = request.form("password")
    > 'Check to see that Session variables were indeed assigned

    It isn't a problem of where the folder is placed physically. The fact that
    you have made the folder a virtual folder under your own application would
    make it part of your application and therefore able to see the session
    variables for the app.

    The problem most likely is that you have made this virtual folder into an
    application in it's own right. Open the properties on the virtual folder
    and on the virtual directory tab click the remove button. This stops the
    folder from acting as it's own application.

    Anthony Jones, Nov 5, 2006

  3. I really had high hopes that would work, but it didn't. The forums .asp
    page isn't picking up the session vars.

    Terry On Windigo, Nov 6, 2006
  4. "Terry On Windigo" <> wrote in message
> [...]

    > strPassword = request.form("password")
    >
    > lcsql="select * FROM results WHERE Email =
    > '"+request.form("Email")+"' and password = '"+request.form("password")+"'"
    > objrs.Open lcsql,objconn,0,1,1
    >
    > 'No records returned because user not found
    >
    > If objrs.EOF then
    > %>
    > <Script Language=VBscript>
    > ReturnItem = msgbox( "Either your name or password

    was
    > incorrect, try again.", vbOKOnly, "INCORRECT ENTRY")
    > </Script>
    > <%
    > Server.Transfer "LoginReturning.asp"
    >
    > else
    > Session("LoggedIn") = "Proceed"
    >
    > 'The next two session vars are for the forums page
    > Session("USER") = request.form("Email")
    > Session("PASSWORD") = request.form("password")
    > 'Check to see that Session variables were indeed assigned

    It sounds like you have set up the virtual directory as an application in
    its own right.
    In the directories properties on the virtual directory tag click the remove
    button to stop the directory acting as an application.

    Note the physical location of the folder is not significant.

    Anthony Jones, Nov 6, 2006
  5. Terry On Windigo

    Slim Guest

    >I really had high hopes that would work, but it didn't. The forums .asp
    >page isn't picking up the session vars.

    look at the top of your asp page and check that it does not have
    EnableSessionState=False

    if that is not the case i refere to AJ's advice

    Slim, Nov 6, 2006
  6. Follow up to those that helped. It is now working for me. The answer was
    to stop it running as an application which all of you said. It didn't work
    initially, then something clicked in my head and told me to stop and start
    IIS. When I did that it worked. You guys really helped me out. I would
    never have thought of the correct answer. Thanks, again.

    Terry

    Terry On Windigo, Nov 7, 2006