session vars en frames: contents of var dropped in new window???

Bart Plessers \(artabel\)

Hello,

Currently developping a site, where I use some session variables.

The site is located at my home computer.
Because I have a dynamic IP adress, I use no-ip (www.no-ip.org) to have my
own custom domain name (pvo.no-ip.org)
My ISP blocks port 80, so website runs at port 4040
The service no-ip offers "Mask / Cloaking Options": every request to my
domain is "wrapped in a frame", so end user can only see one URL in browser.
In example a request to
http://plestest.no-ip.info/milan/test/session_array/create_array.asp
gives a page to the client like:

<FRAMESET ROWS="100%,*" FRAMEBORDER=NO FRAMESPACING=0 BORDER=0>
<FRAME
SRC="http://pvo.no-ip.org:4040/milan/test/session_array/create_array.asp"
NAME="redir_frame">
</FRAMESET>

So the actually page is "wrapped" in the frame.
This is automatically done by the no-ip service.

So far so good.

However,
both links:
URL1 http://plesberk.no-ip.info/milan/test/session_array/create_array.asp
(points to pvo.no-ip.org, NO mask)
URL2 http://plestest.no-ip.info/milan/test/session_array/create_array.asp
(points to pvo.no-ip.org, MASK enabled)
point to the same file on my server

As you can see, the first link shows the full URL (to domain pvo.no-ip.org),
the second drops the port number and leaves the URL to plestest.no-ip.info
(and is more user-friendly)

The file actually creates an array (list of files of current direcotry),
stores it in variable "aFiles" and stores it also in session variable
"aFiles"
The debugging information shows that aFiles is an array, and lists also the
contents of the array
From this page, I want to open a new window, where I can use the contents of
session variable "aFiles".
This is done by the link on the top of the page.

The problem now is that everything works fine for the first URL1 (no port
mask or frame use), but the session var "aFiles" has NO contents with the
link used on second URL2.

I think this is caused by the fact that following the hyperlink, causes the
frame to be left and the link points to the real URL of file (thus WITH port
number, and NO mask)

Is there a way to avoid this?
I noticed that
-opening page URL2
http://plestest.no-ip.info/milan/test/session_array/create_array.asp
(window 1)
-follow "link in new window" (window 2 opens)
-refresh original page (window 1)
-follow "link in new window" again (window 2 refreshes)

-----> the session var "aFiles" HAS values now

very weird behaviour in my opinion...

Has anybody an idea how session vars deal with frames or URL's ?

tia

bartp

Bart Plessers \(artabel\)

it seems to be an Internet Explorer issue...
I tried with Netscape 7.1 and Opera 7.20 and with those browser, the
contents of "aFiles" remains intact when opening a new window...

pffffffft :(

bartp