session vars en frames: contents of var dropped in new window???

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by Bart Plessers \(artabel\), Oct 13, 2003.

  1. Hello,

    Currently developping a site, where I use some session variables.

    The site is located at my home computer.
    Because I have a dynamic IP adress, I use no-ip (www.no-ip.org) to have my
    own custom domain name (pvo.no-ip.org)
    My ISP blocks port 80, so website runs at port 4040
    The service no-ip offers "Mask / Cloaking Options": every request to my
    domain is "wrapped in a frame", so end user can only see one URL in browser.
    In example a request to
    http://plestest.no-ip.info/milan/test/session_array/create_array.asp
    gives a page to the client like:

    <FRAMESET ROWS="100%,*" FRAMEBORDER=NO FRAMESPACING=0 BORDER=0>
    <FRAME
    SRC="http://pvo.no-ip.org:4040/milan/test/session_array/create_array.asp"
    NAME="redir_frame">
    </FRAMESET>

    So the actually page is "wrapped" in the frame.
    This is automatically done by the no-ip service.

    So far so good.

    However,
    both links:
    URL1 http://plesberk.no-ip.info/milan/test/session_array/create_array.asp
    (points to pvo.no-ip.org, NO mask)
    URL2 http://plestest.no-ip.info/milan/test/session_array/create_array.asp
    (points to pvo.no-ip.org, MASK enabled)
    point to the same file on my server

    As you can see, the first link shows the full URL (to domain pvo.no-ip.org),
    the second drops the port number and leaves the URL to plestest.no-ip.info
    (and is more user-friendly)

    The file actually creates an array (list of files of current direcotry),
    stores it in variable "aFiles" and stores it also in session variable
    "aFiles"
    The debugging information shows that aFiles is an array, and lists also the
    contents of the array
    From this page, I want to open a new window, where I can use the contents of
    session variable "aFiles".
    This is done by the link on the top of the page.

    The problem now is that everything works fine for the first URL1 (no port
    mask or frame use), but the session var "aFiles" has NO contents with the
    link used on second URL2.

    I think this is caused by the fact that following the hyperlink, causes the
    frame to be left and the link points to the real URL of file (thus WITH port
    number, and NO mask)

    Is there a way to avoid this?
    I noticed that
    -opening page URL2
    http://plestest.no-ip.info/milan/test/session_array/create_array.asp
    (window 1)
    -follow "link in new window" (window 2 opens)
    -refresh original page (window 1)
    -follow "link in new window" again (window 2 refreshes)

    -----> the session var "aFiles" HAS values now

    very weird behaviour in my opinion...

    Has anybody an idea how session vars deal with frames or URL's ?

    tia

    bartp

    --
    HyperART
    Paul Van Ostaijenlaan 4
    Bart Plessers \(artabel\), Oct 13, 2003

  2. it seems to be an Internet Explorer issue...
    I tried with Netscape 7.1 and Opera 7.20 and with those browser, the
    contents of "aFiles" remains intact when opening a new window...

    pffffffft :(

    bartp

    --
    HyperART
    Paul Van Ostaijenlaan 4

    "Bart Plessers (artabel)" <> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > Currently developping a site, where I use some session variables.
    >
    > The site is located at my home computer.
    > Because I have a dynamic IP adress, I use no-ip (www.no-ip.org) to have my
    > own custom domain name (pvo.no-ip.org)
    > My ISP blocks port 80, so website runs at port 4040
    > The service no-ip offers "Mask / Cloaking Options": every request to my
    > domain is "wrapped in a frame", so end user can only see one URL in

    browser.
    > In example a request to
    > http://plestest.no-ip.info/milan/test/session_array/create_array.asp
    > gives a page to the client like:
    >
    > <FRAMESET ROWS="100%,*" FRAMEBORDER=NO FRAMESPACING=0 BORDER=0>
    > <FRAME
    > SRC="http://pvo.no-ip.org:4040/milan/test/session_array/create_array.asp"
    > NAME="redir_frame">
    > </FRAMESET>
    >
    > So the actually page is "wrapped" in the frame.
    > This is automatically done by the no-ip service.
    >

    > So far so good.
    >

    > However,
    > both links:
    > URL1 http://plesberk.no-ip.info/milan/test/session_array/create_array.asp
    > (points to pvo.no-ip.org, NO mask)
    > URL2 http://plestest.no-ip.info/milan/test/session_array/create_array.asp
    > (points to pvo.no-ip.org, MASK enabled)
    > point to the same file on my server
    >
    > As you can see, the first link shows the full URL (to domain

    pvo.no-ip.org),
    > the second drops the port number and leaves the URL to plestest.no-ip.info
    > (and is more user-friendly)
    >
    > The file actually creates an array (list of files of current direcotry),
    > stores it in variable "aFiles" and stores it also in session variable
    > "aFiles"
    > The debugging information shows that aFiles is an array, and lists also

    the
    > contents of the array
    > From this page, I want to open a new window, where I can use the contents

    of