session won't work on same machine

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by tony, Jan 24, 2008.

  1. tony

    tony Guest

    I have a asp.net 1.1 website that works fine when I hit it from within
    the lan remotely, but when I am on the same machine and hit it, it
    seems that the app isn't able to use the session object.

    For example, the machine's name is "backup". If I am on another
    machine inside the subnet and go the the url http://backup/default.aspx
    then it works fine. If however I try to hit the web page on that
    machine, using either http//localhost/default.aspx or http://backup/default.aspx
    then I get a .net error. The error is:

    FormatException: Input string was not in a correct format.]
    System.Number.ParseInt32(String s, NumberStyles style,
    NumberFormatInfo info) +0

    In other words it is a .net error and not a networking/connectivity
    issue.

    The app is compiled as a release binary so I am not 100% sure exactly
    where the error is, but there is only one place in the page that
    parses out out an int. And that is where it reads a value in from the
    session object, so I am pretty sure that is the line that is failing.

    Here is the session state part of my web config:

    <sessionState
    mode="InProc"
    stateConnectionString="tcpip=127.0.0.1:42424"
    sqlConnectionString="data
    source=127.0.0.1;Trusted_Connection=yes"
    cookieless="false"
    timeout="60"
    />

    Anybody have any ideas on this? I could definitely use some help on
    this one.

    tony, Jan 24, 2008

  2. tony

    bruce barker Guest

    most likely cookies are disabled. as session can be cleared by a normal
    recycle, your pages should always handle an empty session.

    -- bruce (sqlwork.com)

    bruce barker, Jan 24, 2008