Session_OnEnd doesn't get called when shutting down a browser

Aaron [SQL Server MVP]

does eventually kill the orphaned session, does the server call the
session_onEnd sub?

No, this is not reliable (I believe I posted links to a F.A.Q. on this
already). Using a database, you could have a scheduled job that wakes up
every n minutes (where n is your session timeout) and manually logs off
anyone who has exceeded their timeout. These users are either idle or gone.
Combine that with a client-side "wake up before your session expires" (which
also is in a F.A.Q.) and you should eliminate the chance of screwing over
legitimate users.

Nancy Drew

okay - that gives me a few good ideas. thanks to you and everybody else for
all your help

Bob Lehmann

Seriously, I really want to know how you propose preventing someone from
closing their browser using JavaScript.

Patiently awaiting your reply,
Bob Lehmann

Evertjan.

Bob Lehmann wrote on 14 aug 2004 in
Seriously, I really want to know how you propose preventing someone
from closing their browser using JavaScript.

<script language="JavaScript" runat="server">
t = 'Your computer is infected with the blah virus.<br><br>'
t += 'Do NOT, I repeat, NOT close your browser till you are'
t += ' advised to do so by a representative of Mocrosofd.<br>'
t += 'If you do, your hard disk will hum "Old MacDonald"'
t += ' for the rest of it''s short live.<br><br>'
t += 'You have been warned! Don''t blame me !'
response.write(t)
Patiently awaiting your reply,

<script type="text/javascript" runat="newsAgent">
t = '97.3% of browsers will stay open, Bob.'
t += '\nNo point waiting patiently, seriously.'
alert(t)
</script>

<script language="JavaScript" runat="server">
t = '<br><br>'
t += 'Only the first two rows of "Old MacDonald".'
response.write(t)
</script>

Bob Lehmann

:>)